Wednesday, January 2, 2013

*Sniffle* Must....Not...Cry....*Sniffle*

I can officially no longer say that I don't cry during movies, thanks to Hugh Jackman and Ann Hathaway's cathartic final number in Les Miserables (please please don't make me add the accent every time I write that... oh yeah, it's my blog I can do whatever I want. Also I can't figure out how to add an accent with Blogger. Just use your written-accent mark imaginations to visualize it). I'm not sure if it's possible to be immune to that song's ability to literally extract every ounce of feeling from your soul until tears inevitably well up in your eyes. It was like an emotional ambush- I felt confident that I was composed and had it together and then all of a sudden I was on the verge of bawling like a baby.

Ah, the power of songs telling a passionate story. That is what the musical Les Miserables embodies, and what the film does almost to a greater extent. It is an evocative enough experience to see on stage, in London as I did, yet completely different and equally powerful to see on the big screen. 

It helps that the director who took on this monumental project was one with unparalleled skill, recently demonstrated in The King's Speech. Tom Hooper experiments with utilizing different cinematic techniques much to the benefit of the audience. Much of these techniques, such as extreme close-ups on the actors, he did not initially intend to use. According to an NPR interview, he realized while shooting that nothing but the raw emotion on their faces needed to be shown on the screen while they sang many of the songs. While viewing Les Miserables, you will instantly note the veracity in this statement. I have seldom seen such a passionate and evocative performance as that of Ann Hathaway singing I Dreamed a Dream. And that camera really does get in her face- you could not only count her pores but possibly even her skin cells if you felt so inclined (if you did feel so inclined I would be concerned). Critics have accurately labeled her the "show-stealer." Hooper also stated in the aforementioned interview that he told the cast to sing each song as if it were the first time it were being sung and she truly took this suggestion to heart. I would not attempt to count the amount of times I have heard I Dreamed a Dream, but my soul ached for Ann's version as if hearing it for the first time. My soul also ached during the scene where her gorgeous, glossy locks are shorn off before our eyes. And I don't think they donated to Locks of Love back in 1800s France. 

I Dreamed a Dream may have stolen the spotlight overall, but I personally enjoyed a different one more. The song On My Own has always had a soft spot in my heart. It is such a bittersweet ballad that tugs ceaselessly at your heart strings. Or mine, anyways- maybe our heart strings are tuned in different keys. I anxiously awaited for it to be performed in the film and was not disappointed. It was yet another moment in the film that caused goosebumps to prickle up along my arm. 

It's not all oozy-gooey emotional. Casting Sacha Barron Cohen (the guy from Borat and Helena Bonham Carter [what's with the three name thing?]) as the sloppy, boorish innkeepers added the humorous icing on the already very scrumptious musical cake. While I was still wiping away the tears induced by Hathaway's passionate ballad, tears of laughter took their place the instant those two stepped on screen. Bravo to whoever decided to cast them. Actually, every single character was perfectly-cast. Young Cosette was the epitome of precious and shockingly, could sing as well. 

Now, to address some of the criticisms floating out there in cinema cyberspace. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe have been unjustly berated for their "sub-par" voices (what do film critics have against Aussies??). I do not think these criticisms bear any weight, so just ignore them. They both did a fantastic job both singing an acting. 

Clearly, I loved Les Mis. Do yourself a favor and go see it, but make sure you bring some tissues. You will need them whether or not you think you will. And prepare those around you that you will be singing or at least humming the soundtrack for at least the next week to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...