Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and The Far-From-Ugly Part Four: Anxiety

Anxiety is in no way a bad thing. We all experience it at some point or another, and it can be a useful reaction. But oh dear, did our hostel receptionist feel it. She was a special case, however; it didn't seem that Koreans as a whole felt this sort of crippling worry about tiny matters. 

The first example came when I asked her about how to get to a Christmas tree festival that was being held that day. The second my question left my lips and entered her ear, she looked immediately panicked. "Oh dear..." she began, "that is very, very far..." the way she delivered this news would have been more apt if she was telling me that her beloved pet passed away. It ended up being about 45 minutes by metro. She constantly made even simple tasks seem like the most trying things in the world. 



The next instance occurred when my friend and I informed her that we would be going out for breakfast, but back long before check-out time. The same deer-in-the-headlights expression washed over her face. "But...you won't eat breakfast here??" The hostel breakfast consisted of toast and some instant coffee. Somehow, that didn't sound overly appetising. She seemed so concerned. For what, I am not sure. Concerned that we were actually skipping breakfast altogether? Concerned about the breakfast offerings of the hostel? Concerned that we wouldn't be back for check-out? Concerned for something, that's for sure. 

You're...skipping...breakfast?!

Every reaction of hers seemed like she was on the verge of a panic attack. We tried to soothe her and ease her nerves as much as possible, but it often seemed a futile effort. 

The breaking point for her seemed to be when we asked if we could leave our bags there after check-out and pick them up when it was time for us to leave Busan. This request forced every ounce of colour from her face and rooted her to the spot. "But...but...I must take my lunch break from 1-2!" Poor thing. She probably thought that we wouldn't make it back by 1 and she would have to miss lunch. Knowing how hard Koreans work, I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked if she'd had to go an entire day without a break before. 


Korean work ethic makes Japanese work ethic look pathetic in comparison, which is really saying something. Some companies don't even give their employees sick days. The lady at the hostel was there from 7:30 AM until 10:00 PM. I hope she doesn't do that every single day, but again, I wouldn't be surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...