Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Project

Here is where everyone who donated to my volunteering gets to find out what those dollars are being used to fund. This way, you don't have to worry that I scammed you out of your money like some sketchy fake charity that uses contributions on extravagant vacations.

My hand stings quite a bit at the moment, pain which serves as a reminder of my shift at the nursing home today where I was scratched by an old man living there as I aided in his restraint. What surprised me most as I put forth all my efforts to hold him down as his open wounds were cleansed was the contrast between my expression and those of the nurses, nuns, and doctors caring for him. Whereas my face bore a look combining fear and sadness, they exchanged smiles and were completely unaffected as the patient screamed profanities at all of us and spit in our faces.

I work in a small town called Cartago, about 30 minutes outside of San Pedro where I live. Going to Cartago from San Pedro for me parallels traveling to San Diego from Los Angeles. Cartago is quaint and picturesque with far less crime and traffic. It is a lovely little place. The nursing home, run by Catholic nuns, takes up an impressive amount of space in the town and is a peaceful little place. Granted, they are extremely low on supplies and rooms and for this reason, the residents lack privacy and the facility lacks the sanitation we are used to in the US.

I arrive at work around 8:30 and begin my day by wheeling residents up to mass which takes place daily. Afterwords, I find my favorite nurse, Luciana, who is in charge of wound healing every morning. I have to be honest, I had no idea what to expect while volunteering- I did assume, however, that my lack of medical experience would leave me with hardly any hands-on tasks. Yet on my first day I was already taking blood pressures and cleaning open wounds.

The residents are all characters in one way or another. There are kind, loving elderly individuals who just want to chat. There are some whose minds are far from clear. On my first day, my volunteer coordinator warned me of a man in a wheelchair who has gotten in trouble for sexually harassing nurses, but said she did not know which one he was. I rapidly found out when a man reached out for my hand, I gave it to him, and he licked the entire back of it. Let's just say I completely avoid him now.

More to come, but I just figured you'd like a taste of what I am doing over here in sunny and rainy Costa Rica!


1 comment:

  1. This is a great project! I'm enjoying your postings. Including a purpose when we travel elevates the entire experience! The people you are meeting are part of the dimension. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...