Sunday, December 15, 2013

Appropriately, This Series is Catching Fire

If little orphan Annie thought she had a "hard knock life", she clearly didn't know about Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. Annie spent a couple years in a slightly sub-par orphanage surrounded by supportive friends before being adopted by a billionaire business titan with a heart of gold (though he may seem a bit gruff at first. Yeah, that is "hard knock" all right. Katniss grew up impoverished with her mother and sister barely surviving in a run down house, then is chosen by the corrupt government to fight to the death in a rigged arena amongst other kids. After reigning victorious, she thinks she is off the hook until the evil president threatens to kill her family because she unintentionally initiated an uprising against him. Then, to really stick it to her, the president makes her return to fight for her life a second time. I'd pick Annie's life situation in a heartbeat.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was cinematically pleasing. I'm unsure if it was intentional or not, but in the scenes in which residents of the corrupt Capitol were present, their faces were blurred- namely in the scene with the individuals creating the arena for the hunger games. This blatantly embellished the soulless, evil nature of those creating the environment in which children are forced to kill each other.

The acting substantially improved from the first film to the second. The addition of Philip Seymour Hoffman to the cast greatly contributed to the quality of the movie. Even Katniss and Peeta, played by Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson, amped up their already impressive acting talents. I normally am not partial to liking Elizabeth Banks, who plays Effie in the films, as she gives off a conceited vibe in magazine and television interviews. However, even she managed to worm her way into my heart with her portrayal of the eccentric Effie. The young actress playing Prim, Katniss' little sister, bothered me to no end in part one of this trilogy. Thankfully, it seems she took some acting lessons and she no longer rubbed me the wrong way (wow that sounded dirty...). Long story short, the acting was substantially better.

Sometimes our fleeting memories can be a blessing. The reason I fancied part two in The Hunger Games film series substantially better than part one is likely because I forgot so many details from the book, and therefore was unaware of what was left out and changed. I was no less happy about the characters created by my mind while reading the books being torn to shreds, but it seemed slightly less upsetting as I had adapted after the first film thus eliminating the shock value. I also appreciated that while the running time sounds daunting at 2 hours and thirty minutes, not for a second did I feel bored.
Yeah, your life really sucks Annie


Katniss has actual troubles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...