Sunday, December 22, 2013

Run from the Fire, Bilbo!

What a wonderful world J.R.R. Tolkein concocted for all of us to enjoy. L. Frank Baum's lions, tigers and bears don't even compare to Tolkein's hobbits, elves and orcs. Whether it be via the pages of The Hobbit or the his other literary works or reflected on the silver screen thanks to the imagination of Peter Jackson and everyone else contributing to the films, his creations have already enriched my life immensely. I will never forget when I first laid eyes on an orc on the big screen in Chicago, against my will, twelve years ago. I am so glad I did.

I'm not sure how to sort all my jumbled thoughts about the second installment of the three Hobbit films. Starting with Bilbo's entourage, the dwarves journeying to The Lonely Mountain, feels appropriate. I wish that Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the vertically-challenged bunch, were a more likable little guy- his cocky attitude paired with his tiny stature make it difficult to take him seriously. My reaction when things go wrong for him isn't to feel pity, but rather to point and laugh in his face. The other dwarves make up for this, however, but I can't help marveling at the lack of consistency among their appearances. It seems like Jackson stole a page from Walt Disney's notes when he made Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Some of the dwarves look completely cartoonish with bulbous noses and hairdos that would be more appropriate in Who-Ville whereas others look completely normal save their short statures (example, the sexy Fili). The dwarves are undoubtedly a lot of fun to adventure with, even if it is from the comfort of a movie theater seat (though we all know how "comfortable" those really are now-a-days...). I most enjoyed the oh-so-famous scene where they escape from their captivity among the elves by riding in barrels down a raging river chased simultaneously by orcs with metal jutting out of various parts of their bodes and elves that get really pissed when their captives escape (and I thought white water rafting was intense...).


Generally, two dimensions are plenty for me when I go to see a movie. Therefore, I expected to be completely unimpressed by my 3D screening of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. I get freaked out enough when things jump out at me in 2D, on a flat surface- things literally jumping OUT AT me in 3D put me on the verge of a heart attack. You can imagine my relief (or can you?) when Peter Jackson, generally the king of overdoing things, went more subtle on the 3D front. Yes, yes, he "threw an orc head" at us on one occasion, but other than that left the gimmicky stuff to a minimum- a giant bee "coming right at you," etc. etc.

My favorite characters, hands-down, are Gandalf and Bilbo. Strangely, the star hobbit of The Lord of the Rings films, Frodo, pissed me off to no end. He was such a wuss and always causing trouble for everyone else. I bet Gandalf instantly regretted the choice of entrusting the ring to such a little cry-baby. Yet it makes sense that he would, after seeing how incredibly brave of a hobbit Bilbo was. He must have figured due to their sharing some DNA, Frodo would be just as brave. Well, we all know that one trait that did not make it through to future generations. Back to the point: Martin Freeman completely aces his portrayal of Bilbo. He is lovable, you root for him, he beautifully demonstrates his changing character after discovering the ring... spot on with the casting there. As for Gandalf... well I have loved Ian McKellen from the moment I set eyes on him as Gandalf the Gray all those years ago. Watching him get beat up by Sauron and his minions in this film is worse than watching an adorable puppy get kicked in the snout.

I'm sure you are all just dying to know about the oh-so-mysterious dragon, Smaug, and whether or not Peter Jackson got his appearance "correct." I mean, how hard it is to make a CGI dragon look big and terrifying? Better than his looks was his voice- one that is becoming more and more familiar- that of Benedict Cumberbatch. I guess he decided between acting in the Sherlock series and playing Khan in Star Trek among many other films, he figured "hey, why not do the voice of one of the most famous dragons ever written about? I've got time for that." Well, I'm glad he decided to, and you'll see why.

The film was truly fantastic. A little long, but no surprise there. Ed Sheeran singing the song during the closing credits was the icing on top of my beautiful Hobbit cake. I am madly in love with that sexy, British redhead singer so it was, to say the least, a pleasant surprise to hear his silky, sultry voice singing about the plight of the dwarves. Even if just to hear that song... go see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Oh, and don't worry ladies, Orlando is looking just as sexy in this film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...