Saturday, February 15, 2014

Beware of Hypnotists and Typhoid Shots

Since I've been using my funds allocated to my literary budget to buy books written by comedians, I spent a good chunk of time the other day being "that person" reading a travel guide in a store with no intention of buying it. The most jarring fact I learned about things to be wary of as a traveler in India is a scheme involving hypnosis and mind-reading. Yes, seriously. Lonely Planet would not lie to me. In the section dedicated to pointing out schemes designed to rip off tourists, the first few seemed believable and obvious- people telling you that your train tickets are invalid and trying to get your money to buy a "valid" one, people trying to get you to donate to fake charities, etc. The third, written in a shockingly nonchalant tone by the author, sounded like something out of a work of fiction.

According to the author, this "hypnosis scheme" occurs frequently and involves a conman wearing a turban approaching an unsuspecting tourist with a photo of a group of people. He then asks the tourist to focus on one individual in the photographed group for a designated period of time, then accurately guesses who the tourist was thinking of, and then guesses his or her favorite color and recites details about his or her parents that there seems to be no way the "mind reader" could possibly know. Then, in the tourist's "hypnotized state", he or she accompanies the scammer to an ATM and donates a ton of money to him. That is what I have to worry about in India?! Seriously?

Another important preparation I had to make was a trip to the doctor to get vaccines and travel meds. As a person who faints at even the sight of a needle used in a medical context (or a shooting-up drugs context, somehow I can handle sewing needles), I try to avoid any and all unnecessary vaccines. Therefore, when I read in my volunteering in India packet that there were no vaccinations legally required for entry to India, I instantly initiated my happy dance (not something I do in public). However, I read further that vaccinations are "recommended" for a lengthy list of illnesses including but not limited to diphtheria, typhoid, hepatitis A and Japanese Encephalitis. I decided to investigate whether the symptoms of these aforementioned ailments outweighed my fear of needles. The first illness I read about was typhoid. Below is the EXACT passage I read from the International Travel & Health Vaccination Clinic website

"Typhoid fever symptoms usually appear over the course of a month, beginning with fatigue, dull headache, intermittent fever, abdominal pain (typically in the lower-right portion), and, at times, constipation. At the end of the first week of infection, dark red "rose spots" appear on the outer portion of the upper abdomen and the lower chest. As the illness progresses, fever becomes continuous, an unproductive cough may develop, and the infected person experiences lassitude, disorientation, and sometimes delirium. As the person's condition worsens, "pea soup" diarrhea may appear. Coma may occur, as well as intestinal bleeding. Fever and symptoms gradually recede over the fourth week."

Umm... WHAT? Coma MAY occur?? How downplayed can they make going into a COMA?? By continuing on to say that yes, you may go into an almost vegetative state, but then you get better. Seriously? After reading that, I decided a little needle prick in the shoulder was far preferrable to "pea soup diarrhea" and a potential coma. I think I chose wisely. Upon further consultation with my doctor, I decided to forgo the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine (just watch that be the one illness I contract while abroad) and stick to typhoid and hepatitis A shots and pills for malaria prevention. I just so happened to be up to date on all the other recommended vaccines. Just a word of warning for anyone else who happens to need a typhoid vaccination- that thing hurts like nobody's business (unless their business is some sort of intentional torture-infliction). I'm not even being dramatic. 

Well, there shall be many more posts to come as I prepare for my trip, so stay tuned!

Yeah, I'm not really looking to turn into Typhoid Mary here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...