Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Pondering Yoga Poses

Chaturanga dandasana. Exhale! Downward-facing dog!

All you yogis out there most likely feel sweet relief from downward-facing dog (or down dog for short), a "restful, home-base posture" allowing you to refocus on your practice and reset your breath. Some of you probably do down dogs at home for a good stretch and for some relaxation. Some of you may quickly deem it your favorite yoga posture.

For me, downward-facing dog is agony. I freaking hate that posture. Honestly, the primary reason I practice hot yoga or Bikram yoga most frequently is that it doesn't have that horrendous posture. Aside from the fact that it sends shooting pains through my shoulders (okay, okay, a bit dramatic there...it just doesn't feel pleasant), I apparently just can't get it right. During a good 25% of the classes I take I am corrected by some way or another by an instructor. Sometimes they pull my hips up and back. Sometimes they push on my heels to get them to touch the mat.

Yes, I passionately hate down dog. None of you will believe this, but I also hate child's pose, another allegedly "restful" posture. I admit I am strange when it comes to my likes and dislikes of yoga postures. Let's continue, shall we? Maybe in list form from now on.

Yoga Postures Listed from My Least Favorite to Favorite
(Disclaimer: this list doesn't contain every yoga pose in existence. Not even close)

1) Downward-facing dog (just thinking about it makes me wince)
Doesn't this look RELAXING?? No.





















2) Half-moon (Ardha candrasana)

Worst thing ever. But makes good abs.














3) High to low plank (Chaturanga dandasana)

 
Because we all LOVE planks!

















4) Standing Head to Knee (Dandayamana-Janushirasana)
Basically I just can't figure this one out. My balance is just that bad.

Yep, I can only get to step one.













5) Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose (Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana)
Can't...breathe...so...awful....

























6) Standing Bow Pose (Dandayamana-Dhanurasana)
I have a love/hate relationship with standing bow pulling pose. Some days I rock it and others....not so much.





7) Plow (Halasana)
This seriously feels amazing.

















8) Tree Pose (Tadasana)
 





















9) Camel Pose (Ustrasana)This is literally my "hangout pose." It's relaxing and fun and feels awesome.






















10) Fixed Firm Pose (Supta-Vajrasana)



















Okay I'm tired of looking up these pictures, but also, I HATE locust pose with a firey passion. I only do it because a teacher once told me that the postures you hate the most are the ones you need the most. Alright, fine.

2 comments:

  1. Marisa, I like your list in reverse order!
    Most of those last postures I can't do at all.
    This was fun and entertaining. Thanks!
    -Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marisa, your honesty is much appreciated. The only reason I go to yoga class, and don't just do it at home , is so that I will actually have to do the poses that I don't like. By the way, I don't think anyone likes the Standing Head to Knee pose. I don't know what it's purpose is, but there must be one otherwise it wouldn't be so damn hard.

    ReplyDelete

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...