Friday, December 30, 2011

I guess you can't take the "young" out of the Young Adult?

Well, the moral of the film "Young Adult" was.... nothing? That's what I got out of it anyways. And yet, I am not sure if I have a problem with that aspect of it. That fact that the drunken, self-absorbed, unbelievably vain protagonist (Cherleze Theron) did not learn her lesson seems all too realistic to me. I almost saw this film as revolutionary, though not on a major scale, for NOT teaching its audience a lesson. Isn't it true that a lot of people in life just can't seem to change?

Theron plays the girl from highschool that you loved to hate: the prom queen, self-absorbed girl that all the guys want. Mavis is that girl, though 37 years later as a washed up writer still completely living in the past. She got out of the small town of Mercury, MN where she grew up and fled to Minneapolis only to return later to attempt to rekindle an old flame with her highschool boyfriend. Only problem is, he is now married and the reason she even thought of him so many years later is because of the birth announcement which pops up in her e-mail inbox one random day.

So, she returns to Mercury and sparks up an unlikely "friendship" with one of the nerds from highschool (I am skeptical to call it this, they only really spend time together because she does not have any other old friends). Eventually, though many hilarous incidents, Mavis fails completely in her attempt to steal her ex from his wife, and, for a fleeting moment, it seems as though she is going to see the faults in her character and change for the better. However, instead, she just leaves Mercury seemingly the exact same as before. Well, I suppose she did change in one way- she decided not to dwell on the past anymore. Good for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...