Monday, December 5, 2011

Hugo

I wanted to write about this film which surpasses any type of adjectival description while it was still fresh in my mind. However, I attended the 10 o' clock showing and was not out of the theater until well after midnight, so doing so was simply out of the question.

So now, here I am, two days later, and still floored, practically speechless, by the viewing experience provided by Hugo. What a spectacular film! I went in with essentially no preconcieved notions regarding the film or its subject matter. All I knew is that it was bound to be spellbinding, based on the reviews that I had revieved from some friends. Their rave reviews could not have been any more spot-on. Hugo is everything that a film should ever be. The casting could not have been more wonderful, the 3D actually added value, the plot lines were interwoven to perfection and the length was not a minute too long or too short.

The one negative thing that I heard about Hugo was that the "slapstick humor did not work to its advantage." I found this inaccurate, however, as I would not call the comedy in Hugo "slapstick" nor would I say that the humor in the plot was a distraction or any sort of disatvantage. I was led on a, not to sound horribly cliche, roller coaster of emotion, laughing hysterically at scenes with Sacha Baron Cohen (the guy from Borat) to feeling overwhelming sadness for Ben Kingsley's character.

Hugo shows filmgoers an unentered world and allows them to believe in the unbelievable. I strongly believe its success comes from the perfect intermingling of its elements to form something just short of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...