Friday, May 23, 2014

Proposed Changes to the Boy Scouts


While on a walk the other day, I passed by an advertisement nailed into the grass in front of a church asking boys to sign up for the boy scouts (or more like, asking their parents to sign them up against their will). It showed an over-enthusiastic young chap eating a s'more and laughing with his friend next to a campfire. This got me thinking, as many random things do, far too in depth about the boy scouts and girl scouts. So, their main goal is to form young men and women prepared for any scenario, generally one which would take place in the savage wilderness.

Now, I think this idea is ever so slightly outdated considering the actual needs of today's youth. I'm not suggesting the full-on elimination of the scouting organization, simply the re-prioritizing of what members should learn. For example, the biggest worry of one lost in the wilderness today would be not having cell service. I imagine in the next ten years or so, even that won't be of great concern because there will be cell towers every half mile or so.

More important than sitting in a circle for monotonous hour after hour learning how to tie every knot ever invented (in case you are... I don't know...lost at sea?) maybe it would be more beneficial to learn when the directions being recited to you by the creepy robotic voice on your GPS are legitimate and when it is simply trying to lead you astray.

Okay, but WHY??

Wow, I just looked up the list of every merit badge that a scout can earn and while some of them do seem useful, for example the American Business merit badge, many of them just seem like an immense waste of time. Let me list just a few of the most ridiculous options:

1) Farm Mechanics. What little boy is out there saying "mommy, my dream when I grow up is to run my own farm!"? Well, I guess it may be relevant in some of the more barren states where agriculture still exists.

2) Pottery. In what scenario would this knowledge be helpful and prepare scouts for real life?

3) Pulp and Paper. Okay, what?! Considering paper will more likely than not be obsolete in a few short years, this one's inclusion in the list should really be reconsidered.

4) Bugling. I understand that learning how to play the bugle is a traditional all-American musical experience, but what are these kids, elk? And how is their knowledge of bugle-playing ever going to further their life path? I cannot name a single famous bugler. Buglist? See, I don't even know what to call one who plays the bugle.

5 & 6) Leatherwork and Metalwork. What is this, the middle ages? Unless these kids want to try out for a role on Game of Thrones, I do not understand the purpose of learning these skills.

7) Indian Lore. I have no words. I guess being cultured is good, but what a weird, random choice of "lore" to learn. Maybe it was selected out of guilt for kicking the Native Americans out of their homes. Well, they may be on reservations now but at LEAST we know their lore!

8) Reading. There is a badge for this? I hope it is only an option for young scouts...

I tried to look up the list of girl scout badges but found only a complex list of categories and subcategories and subcategories of subcategories of badges and pins girls can earn based on their ages and achievements. It was very confusing, but it for whatever reason you wish to look at it, click here.

The list of suggestions I have for whoever is in charge of merit badges could go on forever and, if I printed it on paper, could quickly earn a scout his "pulp and paper" badge. Here are just a few:

1) GPS merit badge. This would be earned when the scouts mastered the aforementioned skill of knowing when and when not to trust the oft-decieving piece of technology.

2) Blogging merit badge. This could replace the "pulp and paper" or whatever.

3) Outrunning wild animals merit badge. This seems important if and when you are ever lost in the wilderness. Especially outrunning your friends so you don't become the creature's meal.

4) Reading on a Kindle/iPad merit badge. This could replace the simple "reading" badge.

5) Helping your elders use technology merit badge. That takes some major skill and patience and could be put to use in a good deal of scenarios.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...