Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Absurd Fitness Recommendations

I have a bone to pick with a certain Ms. (Mrs.?) Jillian Michaels. While researching fitness tips the other day, because that is what I do in my spare time, I came across those of Michaels. The majority of her "six ways to (FINALLY!) get a flat belly" seemed reasonable and doable- cut down your salt intake, do more planks, blah-dee-blah, nothing new. Then I came across a tip that made me want to reach through the computer screen and punch her pretentious face. Number 4: Eat The Right Foods. Okay, Jillian, that sounds like a great tip based on the title! Then, I read the blurb beneath it:

"First, let's get something straight; all processed foods need to go. Get rid of the potato chips, microwave dinners, and definitely put an end to those fast food fixes. The sodium, preservatives and sugars alone will help keep your belly looking bloated and defeat your efforts. Replace the junk food with whole, quality, organic foods that are packed with healthy nutrients, not preservatives. Then, work these three foods into your diet for maximum belly-fat burn."

After my eyes scanned the last word of that passage, anger began to boil inside me like it does in a hot tea kettle.



Telling the average Jane/Joe to completely do away with microwave dinners and all fast food is absolutely absurd. If Jillian and other health advocates WANT people to get healthier, they need to promote making little, beneficial changes that gradually lead to larger lifestyle changes. Telling Couch Potato Chris to magically chuck his microwave dinners and become a vegan who only eats raw, organic produce is completely unrealistic. Jillian telling people that ALL processed foods "need to go" is going to get through to about zero people, especially those with crunched schedules and no time to cook everything from scratch.

Sorry, Jillian, we don't ALL have an endless cash flow streaming in allowing us to dedicate our every waking moment to fitness and health. Shocking as it may seem, we don't have wallets bursting at the seams with bills yearning to be spent at Whole Foods on their overpriced organic fare. We also don't have seven hours a day to spend prepping and cooking every single meal like Amish housewives (well, except in the case of Amish housewives).

Organic- but it's a MICROWAVE meal, throw it out!!!! Quick, before it adds inches to your waistline!

It reminded me of a talk that I went to about a year ago focusing on heart health. Specifically, the doctor leading the information session told the audience to "only buy things with no nutritional facts label." As in, only buy fruits and veggies. Is she nuts? Even organic, cage-free, butt-wiped, free-range, pampered chicken meat has a nutrition label. Actually, maybe she wants people to buy crossbows and don camo prints to get out there and take down their prey as nature intended, Katniss from The Hunger Games style!

That is the kind of recommendation that has the complete opposite effect as that which is desired. When people hear that they need to do 45 minutes of intense cardio 6 days a week plus three days of strength training and that they can only eat organic, unprocessed foods, their spirits will completely sink. These insane recommendations only spark the thought "well, I can never do that much, it just doesn't fit into my schedule and is too difficult, I may as well continue my sedentary lifestyle."

I will NOT give up my popcorn! 

The idea should be just to promote making, as I said earlier, little lifestyle changes. Take the stairs, not the elevator. Park further away from the store in the parking garage. Try to eat two more servings of vegetables a day. Heck, even just one more! Find a workout you love and do it once or twice a week. Those are the kind of things that will make people think "hey, I can do that!"

And THAT's how you make progress in public health, Jillian Michaels...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...