Friday, July 18, 2014

I Want to Look at the World, Not My Smart Phone

I hate to quote Lorde, but I’m going to do it anyway: “It’s a new art form showing people how little we care.”

Well, people in American society today have mastered this new art form. Instead of flashing a brief, understanding smile at our fellow passers-by, we glare with unbreakable stares at our Smart Phones and completely miss out on the world surrounding us. Realizing the immense level of our self-imposed detachment from interactions with other humans while waiting for and riding on the metro, I decided it was time for a change. At least, a change in my own life. Because, as Ganhi once said, "be the change you wish to see in the world." 

I decided on that day to spend my entire walk from the metro to the office looking up and forward instead of at my feet or my phone. The amount of new observances my eyes beheld astonished me. Every day prior, I walked past the largest, most vibrant pink Hibiscus that I had ever seen. Trust me, I’ve seen a good deal of them in my day from travel to Costa Rica. This particular one easily took first prize in the prettiest flower contest.

Hibiscus? Where? I was looking at my phone...


I also decided on that particular day to smile at people passing me by and actually hold the elevator door and wish my fellow riders a pleasant day as they departed for their floor or I departed for mine.

How sad is it that these acts of kindness were met with absolute shock? The woman for whom I held the elevator door thanked me profusely, saying that it was rare for people to do so and apologizing for "holding me up." I assured her it was no hold up whatsoever, and she smiled genuinely in my direction and bid me a good day as she left. 

The entire duration of the morning, my most simple acts of kindness lifted my spirits tenfold. I still feel strongly that I was born in the wrong time period. I cannot even fathom the degree to which Smart Phones and other devices will absorb their users' attentions like quicksand. I can only hope that people can take a moment or two to break away from these addictive devices that, let's face it, we don't really need. I mean, even about ten years ago they were not even around. 

Nature should not have to compete with stupid little phones for our attention, yet that is the case. Give it your love every once in a while, even just a quick glance can surely brighten your day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...