Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Disney Parks are SO not PC!

It's a little sad how greatly our society overreacts to things that are "not politically correct" today. For any example, just turn on the TV or look through the advertisements in a recent magazine. Standing side by side are an African-American woman, a young woman of undefined Asian descent, a blonde white guy, a dark-haired white girl, a mixed-race girl looking part Latina and part Native Eskimo, a pasty, albino-looking guy, a Latino guy... you get my point. It's like, yes, I understand that companies want to be diverse, but come on, that is a little over the top. Subtract two of those ethnicities and still no one will blame your company for not being substantially diverse.

Not diverse enough, guys....where is the Chinese woman?!

I feel like my appearance is SO underrepresented!! 

On the other end of the "politically correct" spectrum lies Disney Resorts. Let me begin with a disclaimer: I have absolutely nothing against Disney Parks. In fact, I love them with a fiery passion- the way they allow me to feel like a little kid again, the magic floating throughout the air surrounds visitors with an undeniable, charm that transports them to their carefree childhood days. Yet, for this visit to Disney World, the non-PC aspects of the park became glaringly obvious.

As for the rides, the prime offender is easily the "it's a small world" ride. I mean, wow. I almost hope that it does not exist at the Disney Parks in Shanghai, Japan and Hong Kong. Like, at least at the Florida and California parks the American animatronic doll things aren't sitting around a pickup truck eating burgers and hot dogs with bald eagles on their shoulders and gloating about how the United States is the best country in the world. I mean really, what does this ride teach little kids? That all Parisians are can-can dancers, all Japanese women are geishas (I'm noticing a prostitution theme), all Mexicans wear sombreros and play the guitar and Australians are Aboriginals and best friends with kangaroos and koalas. I mean, OBVIOUSLY!

Yikes. How has no one in our lawsuit-obsessed nation not tried to wring some dollars out of the Disney company which has a billion dollar plus revenue each year? People in the US LOVE to sue the pants of off anyone they can, yet only one person that I know of has sued Disney over the small world ride because he got stuck on it and claimed emotional distress from hearing the song over and over. The guy won money though, so hey, kudos to him.

The portion of this Kyle Cease video starting at 52 minutes is the most hilariously accurate thing I have ever heard:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...