Sunday, August 31, 2014

They Do It in India, They Do It in Japan

No, my blog did not just take a leap to NC-17 rated material. Sorry, all my perv readers out there (hopefully none of you...). I am not referring to "IT" in the sense that giggly 5th graders in Sex-Ed often do. I am referring to a cultural practice which, though it may sound nice in theory, is something I am SO thankful we don't do in the US of A. The practice to which I am referring is that of wearing different shoes indoors and outdoors.

Changing shoes when you enter a building from outside sounds like a good idea, as previously mentioned, in theory. It seems that it would prevent floors from getting contaminated with the filth tracked in from outside. However, the nitty-gritties of the practice are what disgust me and convince me of the repulsion resulting from it.

Two words, ladies and gents: loaner shoes. Yes, if you do not have your indoor shoes with you when you enter a building requiring the removal of your outdoor shoes, you need to BORROW the designated guest indoor shoes provided by the establishment. I cannot even fathom the number of strains of fungi hanging out inside of those loaner shoes. I mean, depending on the visitor traffic of the place, there could be hundreds of pairs of feet sliding in and out of those things DAILY. That includes the feet of extremely unhygienic people who shower a maximum of once a week. I'm sorry, but shockingly I would rather soil the holy floors of a building than put my foot where those feet have been. Gross.

NO! Not the LOANER SHOES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...