Wednesday, September 17, 2014

From 17 to 39

Well, I sure aged fast just from moving to Japan. It did not don on me that the fact that most Asians grow older astonishingly well with little signs of age on their faces until much later in life than for other races would mean that, in comparison, I would look far older than I am. In the same way that being asked if I was 14 when I was, in fact, 19 felt like a huge blow to my gut, a Japanese child guessing me to be 39 years old incited instant astonishment (not in a good way). I was just beginning to accept and embrace my baby face, and now it seems I need to do the opposite: relish in looking far older than I am. That will be hard to do.



The little five-year-old assuming me to be 39 instantly landed on my bad side. Yes, I realize that he was five, and most five-year-olds see anyone older than 15 as completely ancient. Still, not cool, kid. I was just beginning to embrace my alleged baby face. A mere month ago, I was a 17-year-old juvenile and now I need to prepare myself for my inevitable midlife crisis. How is that fair? With a simple overseas flight, I lost 22 years of my life. Dang youthful Japanese genes! It is true, though- a 27-year-old teacher at my school literally looks 18 at best. No wrinkles, gorgeous skin... it's so enviable.

Japanese people do spend a lot of time and money on their appearances, however. Before going outside, even on a cloudy day, they wear SPF 1 billion sunscreen as well as huge visors that cast an enormous shadow over their bodies and 5 feet radii around them. So, I suppose their youthful faces are well-earned.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...