Monday, September 29, 2014

A Pear, Chocolate, Coffee Kind of Monday

I woke up realizing that the dreaded Monday had come and a wave of panic cascaded upon me. Yes, I had a serious case of the Mondays. I forced myself against my will to power through my morning run. I'm proud of myself for doing so, though I wore a pained expression and refused to greet my fellow runners. 



Yes, that is how my day began. However, things made a quick turn around when I arrived at work. One e immediately and handed me a piece of dark chocolate. I'm not sure if he could just read my emotions that well and I looked like I needed it like a car accident victim needs a blood transfusion or if that is his cure all for everyone's Monday blues, but whatever the case he quickly became my saving angel of the day.



It gets better. I finally realized the degree to which good coffee trumps crappy instant coffee. Last Friday, I bought some origami coffee (because everything in this country has to be origami) which is really high quality coffee in a bag that you place in a cup with this little paper contraption holding it to the sides. Then, you pour hot water over it and let it seep through for a few minutes. Sounds a bit time extensive, but totally worth it. So, I had the delicious, bitterness of dark chocolate and the unparalleled taste of truly good coffee intermingling in a sensational symphony of taste in my tummy. How could things possibly improve?



As I sat down, marinating in the bliss that had overcome me, a really shy older teacher with whom I work bashfully said "excuse me" and handed me a bag. "This is pear," he said. "From my own garden. "I could not suppress my over-the-top grin." For ... me? "I said, surprised." Yes, yes, please enjoy! "This may seem a strange gift, but it is not in Japan. Receiving fruit is like receiving gold. At the supermarket, Asian pears sell for over a dollar a piece. That is expensive for one piece of fruit! I might also add that I am the only one whom he gave a pear. I felt pretty darn special
!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...