Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Love Demonstrated Through a Gym Membership

What makes a job awesome? A great view? A lot of vacation days? A nice break room? Sure, those things help as far as enhancing the work environment, but the real factor determining a love or hate of your job is your coworkers.



The Japanese know hospitality better than every 1950’s housewife combined. I mean, these hospitable, generous-beyond-reckoning people would give a stranger the shirt off of their backs in a heartbeat. I discovered the true degree to which Japanese will demonstrate their kindness yesterday over a seemingly simple task. I heard about a cheap gym nearby the main train station where I live from another ALT working here. He said that it was really cheap and clean, but warned me that signing up was difficult as none of the employees at the gym spoke any English. My cocky alter ego brushed this advice aside, thinking “psh, how hard can it possibly be?” Pretty freaking hard, it turns out. I walked into the gym and there was a lot of awkward pointing and trying to simplify our languages in the hopes of the other party understanding but to no avail. So, I took an information flyer and figured I could ask a teacher later.

Everyone's thoughts here when they talk to me

I asked one of the teachers the next day (poor guy, since he sits beside me he is always the one I ask to translate every single thing. For example, I bring him my mail everyday and ask what is important and what I can toss) about the flyer. He said that I could sign up online for only 500 yen or in person for 1000. The difference between $5 may seem trivial, but not to a teacher who hasn’t been paid yet and won’t be for another couple of weeks. Plus, $5 can buy me an entrĂ©e at an Indian restaurant for lunch or a glass of wine out at dinner. Not to mention a delicious Starbucks latte. The point is, if I could save five dollars by signing up via an easier method, I’d instantly oblige. So, the teacher said he would help me and dropped everything he was doing, which I imagine was really important, and tried to get on the site. However, the schools in Japan are so paranoid about viruses that they block basically every website, so we couldn’t log on.


Later, I was chillin’ with the vice principal watching the students practice for their festival and we were talking about running and I mentioned that I like to run inside when it rains and told him about my gym situation. He got serious all of a sudden and informed me that we WOULD get me signed up before I left for the day. So, next time we got to the teachers’ room he tried to sign up on a school computer only to be greeted by the same warning message that it was an insecure site. Did Mr. VP let this get him down? Heck no! He asked one of the younger teachers for his smart phone and asked him to help me sign up. Eventually, there was a group of about five of us huddled around signing me up on the smartphone. One teacher then called the gym and asked what else I needed to do to ensure I was all set up. He then asked the teacher who speaks English the best if he would accompany me to the gym to translate while the employees there give me the “welcome to the gym” speech. The English teacher agreed without the slightest bit of hesitation. 

Seriously, none of this would ever happen in the states.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...