Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Olaf

So, as anyone who has ever known a middle school-aged boy for any reason (hopefully for a non-creepy one) knows, there is this grand canyon-wide difference between their appearances at that age. For example, there are some who look as if they does body building for two hours daily at a gym, and then on the other end of the spectrum is the boy who looks around 4 feet tall and 70 pounds. One boy from the latter category is this adorable student with a huge grin almost too large for the width of his face plastered across it at all times.  He wears big goofy glasses and has completely unruly hair, both of which features suit him perfectly. I can never remember the poor lad’s name, but I found out that many of the students in his class call him “Olaf” in honor of the silly snowman from Frozen. It is one of the most perfectly suited nicknames I have ever encountered.



The students that actually try to answer questions and participate in class, whether they are good at English or not, completely make my day. “Olaf” happens to be one of them. The other day we did an assignment where students had to interview each other asking questions like “do you play soccer?” and afterwards, they had to write sentences reflecting the answers. So, the other teacher and I asked for volunteers to answer the questions once everyone finished asking their classmates. Olaf’s hand shot into the air. “Okay, great!” said my fellow teacher, gesturing for him to stand. “So, who plays soccer?” The desired answer was: “(name) plays soccer.” But instead, in the loudest, most cheerful and confident voice I have ever heard and while wearing that endearing smile, “Olaf” said “Who puh-ray-a sacca!” (Who plays soccer?) The entire class, including Olaf himself, erupted in boisterous laughter and the other teacher said “yes, good, but WHO plays soccer?” and he adopted a look of shock, said “ooh! Oh! Marisa sensei puh-ray sacca!” I adore that kid. Also, you never want to see Marisa sensei playing soccer. Trust me, fifth grade soccer is not a pleasant memory for me.

Everyone could learn so much from his joyful attitude, namely to laugh at yourself and take risks because that is how we learn.  


He is not the only one in this school from whom I have adopted a new outlook on life. There is a teacher at my school who summited Mount Everest. He acted completely nonchalant when I asked him about it, admitting to it as if he were recounting climbing up Fuji. As one who has lived in fascination of such a feat and those who achieve it, I was instantly awestruck, as though in the company of a celebrity. From him I have learned humility. In my opinion, climbing Everest gives you all the bragging rights in the world and skyrockets you instantly to badass status. 



However, he is one of the most kind, humble people I have ever met. I asked him what it was like at the top and he said simply “I felt free.” I cannot even imagine that feeling of liberation. The point is, he is always so kind to me, apologizing when he is using the copy machine and I have to wait, and saying excuse me all of the time, and all I can think is, “you climbed Everest! You don't need to apologize to anyone!” But he treats everyone with kindness and respect, which makes me wish to do the same.

I have already learned kindness, humility, honesty and respect from my coworkers and students. I’m sure that over the course of my time here I will only learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...