Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Final Japanese Days


The last few days in Japan didn't feel like the last few days in Japan. I felt ready, as if I’d seen all I wanted to in Tokyo. I had gotten my closure.  I did some new things like go up the Tokyo Skytree and to an aquarium, and I did some repeat excursions as well. I returned to the zoo once again to visit my Japanese animal buddies and visited the owl café a second time to see those feathery friends of mine.



I also paid a visit to the second Tokyo Disney Park, Tokyo Disneyland. I will say, however, that it was quite a different experience. When I went to Tokyo Disney Sea in December, I was blown away by how crowded it was. I hadn’t even come close to really seeing “crowded,” as it turns out. No, Disney Sea was empty when I went in comparison to my trip to Disneyland. Disneyland’s streets were so densely packed that you could hardly shuffle from one ride to the next without bumping into at least twenty other park-goers. By 10 in the morning, the fast-passes for Space Mountain had been distributed for the remainder of the day, and the wait time had skyrocketed to 200 minutes, no exaggeration. So, one could watch an extended version of a Lord of the Rings installment and still have time to spare in line. When I thought about it in those terms, I simply couldn't wait standby for that ride.

160 minute wait? Nope!

I am not sure there is any logical explanation for the fact that I ACTUALLY waited two hours in line for Big Thunder Mountain. Especially considering that I have ridden that attraction many times in the past. The only explanation for my choosing to wait two hours in line for a ride that lasts about two minutes max is that I am certifiably insane. However, that would make every person ahead of me and behind me in line certifiably insane as well, which would make Disneyland just full of crazies. So in spite of the fact that the park was magical and fun, my enjoyment was slightly dampened by only getting to ride six rides in nine hours. I guess you know you’re getting old when you realize you no longer have the patience to put up with huge lines and crowds anymore.

I also tried some new Japanese cuisine that I hadn’t before during a home cooked meal and a thick pancake with green onions called Negiyaki. I also got to visit what was likely my 15th or so Indian restaurant in Japan.

One thing is I wish I had taken the time to give the island that I called home for six months a more ceremonious goodbye. Instead, I spent my final morning rushing to the airport and didn’t really share my sentiments properly with Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...