Friday, February 27, 2015

Lack of Security

So, remember that time when I said I was going to write a post about the security in the Middle East? Well, you should, because it literally happened one or two posts ago. Anyways, here we are, a week later, and I am finally ready to recount the tale.

At this point in my life, I have been through some airports with ridiculous security regulations and customs lines that rivaled those at Disney parks. For whatever reason, I assumed that getting through passport control entering Abu Dhabi would be nightmarish at best. I could not have been more wrong.

I found it curious that the flight attendants didn't pass out the customs forms to which I'd grown accustomed en route to Abu Dhabi from Bangkok. I rationalized that perhaps it was because we needed to do so upon arrival. However, when we landed and walked to the immigration counters, not only were there no forms at all, but no line. I still felt nervous when I approached the officer at his desk.



Here is a little aside: whenever I arrive in a country and have to go through the passport check, I feel instantly nervous. The scrutinizing gaze of the officers make me break out into an instant sweat and feel as if I have committed an unforgivable crime. Every question they ask incite a terrible panic and cause me to forget the answer to even the most basic questions.

So back to Abu Dhabi...
The only question the officer asked me was "what is your name?" The second this simple question left his lips, the panic reaction ensued. The sweat began to roll down my forehead. Oh crap... what WAS my name?! I finally recited the answer in a shaky, suspicious voice. He glanced at me with the most casual expression imaginable, stamped my passport, and waved me through.

Next, we grabbed our bags and walked out the door. No customs, no final bag check, nothing.

The way out of Abu Dhabi was more or less the same. No line at passport control, no questions, just a stamp and a wave through. In security, we didn't have to remove our liquids nor our laptops. Taking off shoes? Of course not! It was just like the TSA Pre check line in the States, but with even less of a line. I actually felt a bit nervous at the lax security, but we made it alive to New Zealand, so whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...