Friday, November 20, 2015

Ghana's Right Around the Corner!

My Ghana trip is creeping up on me. Today, it began to feel unfathomably soon. I received detailed information regarding my volunteer placement, and while much of it I already knew or assumed, seeing it in print seemed to make it all real. I will be living and working in a tiny village about two hours east of Accra living in a family's home with no Internet, no running water, no electricity and, best of all, a hole outside in which to take care of business.


Pooping in this will not be fun...

This initially caused me to go through a mini panic attack. I started realizing the enormous degree to which we use the Internet, electricity, running water and toilets EVERY day. I mean, it is actually concerning when you stop and think about it. I paid attention today to my use of technology and I realized that my face is almost always plastered to my phone screen. I began to feel a bit disgusted by it all and all of a sudden my attitude towards my trip shifted.

I now look forward to my trip and plan to embrace the lack of so many conveniences we here take for granted constantly. Today especially I felt how absurdly cushy my privileged life is. I was walking to my car and felt irritated about the fact I'd have to scrape the snow off of my car. What a stupid, First World problem! I HAVE a car to scrape snow off of! That is a privilege!

<br/><a href="http://oi44.tinypic.com/igkrkn.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>


I'm sure this trip will be a grounding one to show me how those who have much less than me live. In my past experience, it seems that people who have the least live the most fulfilling, happy lives.

Let me give you all the inside scoop on what exactly my volunteer work will entail. Every day, I will arise at the butt crack of dawn, around 4:30 or 5. At that time, I will tend to the farm animals and begin planting crops or doing construction work. Around 9 AM, the overwhelming heat will prohibit me from staying outside, so at this time I will teach and play with the kids in the orphanage. Later in the evening as the temperature drops, I can return to outdoor work. On the weekends, it's play time and teach time with the kiddos.

Yes, I'll be living the real life version of Farmville most of the time. Jealous? I thought so.



Last but not least:

Hello friends,
I hope this message finds you well! I am reaching out to you all as I am planning a volunteer trip to Ghana. My goal is to spend a couple of weeks there helping plant crops and assist in other agricultural activities in order to provide a sustainable food source to children in an orphanage there.  During the evenings and weekends I would also provide childcare to the children. There are a lot of fees associated with this journey on which I wish to embark and I appreciate any donations you could provide. Of course, I understand if doing so is not possible- if that is the case, just send me well wishes and good luck! Also, for those who previously donated, well wishes are more than enough!

Please visit my fundraising page to donate any amount and your generosity will come a long way! You can also share my page to your family and friends and help me spread the word!

http://bit.ly/1NKIlHH

Thank you for your support!
Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...