Monday, May 8, 2017

The Gimp Life

Are you alone right now? If no one is around, give your right shoulder a kiss. Then, your left shoulder. If you are in public, lift both arms overhead, interlace your fingers and stretch your arms upwards. Feel the glorious shoulder stretch and opening in your chest region. I'm asking you all to do this so you do not take for granted the wonder that is having the use of both arms.

Last week, in multiple clumsy ways, I fell on my right shoulder in the same spot leading to a wounded rotator cuff landing my arm in a sling. I never until now realized the sheer glory that is having the use of both arms. Literally everything is a challenge. Opening doors, washing my hands, typing, texting, talking on the phone, reading, cleaning...hence why I asked all of you to show some gratitude to your shoulders for both functioning properly.

Both of my jobs, teaching yoga and freelance writing, require that I use both arms. Therefore, this injury has incapacitated me to the point of lying on the couch, unable to do much of anything, for a week. However, anyone who knows me well (or knows me at all) knows that I cannot go that long without writing. Putting my thoughts into written form is my catharsis, and my only real hobby that isn't physical to the point of worsening my shoulder injury.



I don't consider myself a lazy person until I am injured to this point. The sheer challenge associated with every single daily activity snuffs out any motivation to do anything. Even reading seems too difficult. Watching TV requires too much focus. So all I do is lie about feeling sorry for myself, starting out the window while curled up on the couch with my roommate's dog.

Ironically, when I have free time I do not want it, and of course when I don't have any free time it's all I want. I could use this time to educate myself by watching a new documentary or reading a novel, practicing a new language, catching up on calls or taking long mindful walks through the neighborhood. Maybe later. For now, nap time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...