Friday, September 21, 2012

Another Hammer Letdown

I want to thank the Hammer museum from the deepest depths of my heart for instilling in me the irrational fear of having a crazed dry cleaner employee suffocate me with plastic wrap and shove me into the back of his van as part of a killing rampage. I am serious as a heart attack- that was the topic of a music video screened last night. I wrongly assumed after the success of the first Flux film series which I attended around a month ago that the second part, screened last night, would be just as entertaining and uplifting. I'm not entirely sure what the opposite of uplifting is, I suppose "down bringing" but that is not a verb. My tardiness almost caused me to miss out on entry to the film series, and in retrospect that would have been exponentially better than sitting through it. But, you know what they say about hindsight.

The man who introduced the series warned us that this particular collection of short films were dark, but that did not really sink in until the first video ended. The first was a music video for a strange German band and seemed like the kind of thing someone would dream about after taking a combination of illegal drugs. Let me attempt to clearly summarize: a man and a little girl dismount a horse in the middle of the desert. The old man sets the little girl's doll on fire while telling her in a language that I did not recognize in the slightest that no one will ever help her in this life. Then she gets kidnapped by some weird desert clan people who brainwash her and brand her, she grows up and tries to avenge herself by killing the old man who killed her doll. But when she confronts him, he stabs her eye with a sword leaving her with a bloody eye socket. Then she fights a dragon with multiple heads and dies. Yes, seriously.

The second video I hoped would be more cheerful since it was a Norah Jones song music video, and she  tends to sing about cheery topics. But no, it seemed that the plot line of the lyrics were she beat a woman with an oar and then tied her body to a rock and tossed it into a lake. Nice.

During the worst one I had to stare at my knees after awhile as I was so disturbed. It was a music video for a song by a band called Liars, and the one that I refer to in my opening sentence to this blog. A lunatic old man who works in a dry cleaner goes home and changes and spends the night driving around going on a killing spree where he murders a ton of people in ways that disturbed me to new levels. Nice.

I could go on. But I will spare you. The only video I enjoyed was the music video for a song called "Hollywood" by RAC. It was a really nice song and I am going to add it to my workout playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...