Tuesday, September 4, 2012

News Addiction

Yesterday I overdosed on an addictive drug. I almost didn't make it out alive after the convulsions, dry heaving and cold sweats. Seldom is the public alerted to the dangers of a news overdose, despite their severity. I now take up the role of informant for the greater good to expose the dangers of a news addiction.

When I tuned to NPR to hear a story which I earlier read in the paper and almost immediately afterwards saw on the news, I realized I have a problem. I am a news junkie. Without my daily fix of Diane Sawyer, I start jonesing big time. The LA Times app is constantly activated on my phone's screen. The soundtrack accompanying every car trip is NPR. I listen to it so often that I could easily recite the names of the reporters. I need to be hooked up to an IV of breaking news.

So when I realized that I was hearing a story for the third time in two days, I fully acknowledged my problem. Another clue came about when I realized that I dream about Syria, the Mars rover, the hantavirus and the election. After surviving my news overdose, I realized I needed to take action before my condition worsened, so I tuned to a different radio station for the first time in far too long. Turns out Michael Jackson is a pretty good cure for news addiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...