Friday, November 7, 2014

Out of Context

The first time I went out with one of the teachers from the school where I work, I asked her why she likes to go to Tokyo, which is relatively far, anytime she is free. She told me that she likes to leave the city in which she teaches because she likes to go far, far away from the students when she has leisure time. 



I didn't really understand this comment at the time. I assumed it couldn't possibly be that difficult to separate one’s work and social lives. I realised just how wrong this notion was. The city in which I teach didn't seem so small at first, until I began running into students no matter where I went, often at the least opportune moments. I’ve often almost run into something on my bike because a student saw me and called my name, catching me completely off guard. They’ve seen me at the grocery store, at the train station on the weekends on my way to a night out in Tokyo, at the convenience store paying bills... it just never ends.

Many of my students now know where I live, and I’m not sure how I feel about that either. My commute walking or biking to school may be short, but it gives me the time I need to mentally prepare myself for dealing with 600 energetic Japanese preteens and teenagers. Trust me, that time is needed for me to maintain what is left of my sanity. However, the other day, as I walked out the door I found myself face to face with one of my special education students. He watched me intently like a predator watching its prey in a nature special.  As I locked my door, all I could think was “great, there goes my mental preparation. It’s show time,” while I mustered up what little energy I could to pretend to be cheerful. Then we walked the entire way to school together. I wouldn't be surprised if students showing up outside my door in the mornings becomes a routine thing.




Now, I certainly understand the sentiments that my teacher friend expressed to me all that time ago. I, too, just want to escape on the weekends and go far, far away. Not that I don’t love my students dearly when they are inside the school. Seeing them outside of context is just too strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...