Saturday, November 1, 2014

Humbled

Merely thinking two very distinct people here in Japan will always make me think twice about complaining. The first is one of my students. To avoid disclosing substantial detail, he has a physical disability that would normally inhibit physical activities. But, this student has adapted to his situation and, not just lives a normal life, but thrives unlike many of the others. Not only is he actively involved in multiple sports, but excels in every school subject as well. He quickly became one of my favorite students by always talking to me cheerfully every time he saw me despite his low level of English. The kids here sometimes don't realize that their attempts at communication alone mean the world to me.

His positive attitude and consistent optimism inspire me daily. During moments when I am brooding and complaining about things that simply aren’t important, I think of how insanely lucky I am. If he can be happy all the time, so can I.

The vice principal at my school is optimism embodied as well. He works harder than almost anyone else at the school, constantly answering phones and cleaning during his fleeting moments of free time. In spite of his heavy yoke of responsibility, the kind that would cripple many others attempting to bear it, he always goes out of his way to make me feel welcome and assist me with my problems.

The kind of stress in his life would drive me insane, or at least to the bottle. With the hours many Japanese people work, it doesn't surprise me that so many of them drink just to blow off steam. But, the insanely long working hours don’t do that to this man. Every time I ask him how he is, he says he is “fine” or “great.” The other day he said, “I am always great!” in a bold, enthusiastic voice. If he ever gets stressed out or upset, it doesn't show. He exhibits kindness that is clearly genuine. Many people can fake their positive attitudes, but you can usually tell. 

These two individuals at my school have taught me more than I could ever hope to teach them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...