Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sexist Language

My ears are open wide every time I am in the teachers' room at school. I listen constantly, hoping to absorb Japanese in any way possible. The English teacher next to whom I sit frequently said "よし," or "yoshi" (but it is drawn out, and sounds like "yoshhh") before he would go to class. I thought about what it meant, and eventually realised that it was used as a way to mentally prepare yourself for something. I grew to love the word, especially because it is one for which we don't really have a translation in English. So, of course, I adopted it into my vocabulary. I began to say it before class and before anything that I was nervous about doing. 

Saying よし became as much of a habit as breathing. I used it when I was alone. I used it in public. Yoshi! Just thinking the word made me feel so much more prepared for the task before me. 

YOSHI!
Then, today, my spirits sank.

On Sunday mornings, I teach a class in Konosu. The students are Japanese men aged 60 and over, and teaching them is extremely fun for me. Their English is already at fluency level, and they love listening to my grammar rants (people generally hate when I correct their grammar, but not these guys). They also enjoy answering my questions about Japanese.

So, today I decided to ask them about "yoshi." They stared at me wide-eyed and didn't hesitate whatsoever to inform me that ladies NEVER say "yoshi," and that it is something ONLY men can say. I felt panic come over my face, perhaps a bit extreme of a reaction. But, but....よしwas something I came to love! I couldn't fathom the idea of parting with such a wonderful word! I begged them, irrationally, asking if there was any way I could use it. Perhaps my status as a foreigner meant it was okay and I could get away with it? Please?? They simply shook their heads. They told me I had to let go of よし. I had to move on. But, I simply can't grasp that idea. I just can't let go of my beloved よし. 


Why must Japanese be so sexist? As I spoke a slew of other colloquial phrases I had picked up in the teachers' room, they informed me that 85% of them were not acceptable for females to speak. I felt so unbearably crushed. I just can't accept that. 

So...regardless, I say よし! Perhaps not in front of them, however...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...