Sunday, August 21, 2011

The C in Copenhagen stands for: Costs a LOT

So if any of you are planning a trip to Copenhagen, you must be aware of the following:
1) Be prepared to spend the money you would hope to spend in about 10 days in just one. No joke. I cannot emphasize enough the sheer cost of absolutely everything there. Perhaps it seemed so extreme to me because of the drastic constrast from the Czech Republic's low prices, but regardless, I was disappointed and I feel like it limited my fun a lot.
2) In Denmark, every credit card needs a pin. I am not sure how this is the case, because I feel like a lot of credit cards in the states do not even HAVE a pin. That is for debit cards. Therefore I am confused because where is this alleged credit card pin supposed to come from? If it does not exist in the first place, how is one supposed to know it?
3) The birds poop on you. Or maybe I am just so lucky and they only poop on me, who knows. Either way, it was one of the grossest experiences of my life and I really thought I was going to throw up. It had amazing accuracy, too.
Now it is time to complain a little bit about the hostel. Shockingly, the hostels were also unbelievably expensive, so we decided to go with the absolutely cheapest one possible, Danhostel, but not the one that was downtown in a central location, but the one that was ungodly far away. In retrospect, it may have actually been cheaper to stay in the central one because it would have meant no expensive bus fares to the city center every day. Also, when we got there they informed us of a lot more fees that we needed to cover such as renting linens since we did not bring our own and the fee for the "guest hostel card" which is one of the most vague expenses I have ever heard of. Also, we got the pleasure of sharing a room with some of the most obnoxious people I have ever encountered. They did not in any way attempt to be quiet the first night when they came in around 3 or 4 AM and they also turned on all of the lights and were talking in a normal volume and getting ready for about an hour. Also, they left at the crack of dawn on our last day and did the exact same thing.
Okay i feel like I have been complaining this whole time. I just want to clarify that most of the issues stemmed simply from insufficient funds. I had as good of a time as my pocketbook allowed and still did enjoy the sights. Tivoli gardens was a very nice area, there were stunning flowers and fountains and it was really pleasing to the eye. We even got to go on one ride, Hans Christian Andersens Wonderful World, because the worker felt bad for us dumb Americans that could not figure out the credit care machine. It was essentially the Danish version of the It's A Small World ride in Disneyland, but it featured all of the H.C. Andersens fairytales and did not feature a horribly repetitive tune. On that same note, we also went to go and see the Little Mermaid statue. Once again, the H.C. Andersens version, not Disney. So in this case it was a depressed mermaid. She really did look lonely, but at least she was surrounded by more gorgeous flowers, a nice park to stroll around in, and one of my new favorite fountains. I am not sure who it was of, it was some goddess-type woman with a whip riding a chariot pulled by four bulls. It was quite a sight, however.
Now I am waiting at the airport in Copenhagen next to my friend Dianna who is fast asleep. Living proof of the fantastic sleep quality providad by Danhostel. Our flight to Berlin has been delayed 40 minutes. Oh the joys of traveling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...