Friday, August 19, 2011

Last Thoughts on Prague

Wow, the Backstreet Boys just came on in the cafe I am sitting in and I just got way too excited about that...
So today I discovered another one of the reasons that everyone seems a lot more angry in Europe, whether they truly are or not. Here, there is always the issue of language and language barriers, one of which leads to the appearance of everyone being totally pissed. When I run into people here or hit them on the bus with my suitcase which seems to happen much more than would ever be considered normal, I never know which language I need to say "sorry" and/or "excuse me" in. I have thankfully learned it in various languages, but I don't want to say "prominta, lo siento, izvinitye, je suis desolee, sorry" so I just kind of awkwardly walk past and mumble whichever one comes to mind. Point being that despite my sincere desire to apologize for my spazzy nature, I just feel like I can't.
In the past few years, I have been on many, many different airlines including some of the best like Southwest and some of the very worst, like Ryanair. My new favorite by far is certainly Czech Airlines. They are friendly which is awesome, give you a meal even on a short flight (mine was 2 hours) and wine and the best coffee I have had in a long time. Today i will be flying with Cimber Sterling, whose name alone sounds extremely suspicious, so wish me luck on that one.

In case anyone happens to be going to the Czech Republic anytime soon, I have a few tips for you:
1) Do NOT stay at the Hotel Svaty Jan. Not only is it completely impossible to pronounce that name, but it is likely the most overpriced and overrated hotel in which i have ever stayed. The hotel is located in a historical building that upon passing I initially thought was some sort of important monument. This might sound cool, but basically just seems more like a creepy horror movie set. I was terrified by every tiny sound I heard and my room had vaulted cielings and windows facing a dark, sculpture-filled courtyard with cast-iron bars over them. My room was right next to the lobby as well meaning I could hear the obnoxious doorbell sound made everytime someone needed to be buzzed in. Worse yet, the employees were typically smoking outside, talking loudly with eachother so it echoed throughout the building, or napping on the lobby couch and so they never heard the first ring, meaning I had to hear the horrible doorbell sound at least three times per guest. The hotel allows dogs, which I suppose is good for their owners, but not good for their room neighbors who are trying to sleep and do not want to be woken up 6 times a night (I'm refering to me). On the second day it got even BETTER when a SECOND couple with a dog checked in and was staying across the hall so the dogs would bark to each other. How nice. The employees were all horrible, too. I mostly just had to deal with one woman, but she never really seemed to be doing her job. She also seemed beyond annoyed whenever I asked her for anything. I wanted to suggest to her that maybe customer service was not the best job choice for her personality...
2) Tip two would be to go to the Charle's Bridge during one of two times: ridiculously early or in the rain. I was actually rather surprised at the deterring powers of the rain, it turned the bridge from being covered with tourists packed together like sardines and almost unable to move to a lovely, almost empty and extremely charming place to be.
3) It's not just about the Pilsner. Everyone seems to think that it is the absolute best beer without a doubt of the Czech Republic, but I enjoyed the dark Kozel much more.
4) AVOID Cafe Mystic at all costs! This little restaurant may seem charming at first, but that is an extremely decieving facade. The name is fitting, however; the waiters provide you with a "mysterious" menu which conviniently leaves out the prices. Upon asking for a menu which does include them, you can instantly discover why. They also include a few mysterious upcharges on the bill which jack the prices up about 20%, and then are extremely evasive explaining these charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...