Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fish Jerky

People here really like seafood in all forms. As previously mentioned, this includes fish egg flavored potato chips. Also includes strips of dried out fish and squid, sushi and more. I guess the whole being located along water has something to do with this...

I have been to Europe before for an extended period of time, but I have never experienced a language barrier to such an extreme degree as I am experiencing right now. It is very strange to spend hours upon hours with people and only understand when they say the few words and phrases that the first level of Russian Rosetta Stone provides you with. "Big dog", "I am thirsty", and the numbers 1-60 are a few examples. Despite this language barrier, however, it amazes me that I still feel a connection with those that I meet, and still feel that we are able to communicate.

I have a very odd roommate here at the hostel who speaks French, English and Russian and is from Montreal. A tan woman in her early to mid thirties, I would guess, named Olga. She has the bunk above me and really likes telling me about her numerous dates with Russian men, often in detail that I simply do not want to know.

In case anyone reading this is thinking about visiting St. Petersburg, here is my advice after spending a little over two days here:
1) Learn at least enough Russian to get around, or travel with someone who speaks it.
2) Use the restroom EVERY time you are near one- they are rather sparse around here leading me to believe that all Russians have bladders of steel
3) If you want to blend in, dress like you are going clubbing no matter where you go- also, NO SNEAKERS

That is all for now. I am exhausted and tomorrow is going to be a long day of sight-seeing. 

1 comment:

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...