Sunday, March 15, 2015

Freaky Friday the 13th In Reefton

The second I arrived in Reefton, New Zealand, my superstitious senses were tingling madly. Perhaps it was because it was Friday the 13th, or perhaps it was because of the countless creepy things that occurred during our stay in the old mining town. Reefton is famous in New Zealand as it was the first town in the Southern Hemisphere to introduce electricity. It certainly is a neat, quaint little town, and if I weren't so afraid of it, I would definitely want to go back.

The entire time I was in Reefton, I felt as if I were on the set of the historical film The Crucible, a Winona Ryder movie about the Salem witch trials.



One of the first things I noticed upon arriving in Reefton was the cross standing out amongst the mountainside. It wouldn't have seemed so terrifying had it been beside a church or other ediface; however, this was not the case. The white cross, appearing to be made of wood, stood completely alone on the mountainside, and appeared to be floating when night fell upon the town. The floating effect was emphasized by the light shining on the cross from an unknown source. Seriously creepy.

So, this is really just the tip of the freaky iceberg. When we ventured back from the saloon to the hotel in the darkness of night, a pitch-black cat scampered across the road directly in front of us. Great, seven years of bad luck. Actually, I can't remember the specific curse associated with a black cat crossing one's path, but whatever it is, it befell upon us all that evening. The real icing on the cake of that incident was that the cat crossed our path on a street called "Sinnamon," literally spelled SIN. Wow.



The next morning, I was parched and entered the kitchen to fill a glass of water. As I took a sip, my brows furrowed in concern. The water tasted strange, and I couldn't quite place what it reminded me of. Then, all of a sudden, it hit me: the water tasted exactly like blood. At first I assumed it was because I had been reading Twilight that morning and that the vampire theme was messing with my mind. My eyes widened in terror, and I felt that there must be an issue with my sense of taste until I asked someone else what the water tasted like and he agreed. Then, we got the heck out of Reefton, the haunted little town in New Zealand, by driving through the creepy morning mist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...