Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Pelorus Bridge, Part Two

Yes, I've been going out of chronological order as far as what's happened during my time in New Zealand. So sue me. Actually don't, because doing so would be an extreme overreaction to the order of blog posts.

So, remember how I mentioned that there would be a sequel to the post about the Pelorus Bridge? Well, here is the aforementioned sequel, finally.

En route to Blenheim back from the Pelorus Bridge, we decided to stop at a wee bar (there I go, injecting New Zealand jargon into my own). It was the kind of lone establishment frequented by the few locals of the area. The locals I mention were somewhat rough characters; likely making their living by sheep farming or other similar trades of the region. As we walked into the place, a smell slammed into my olfactory glands so forcefully that it almost knocked me over.



The body odor emanating from the glands of one of the men inside the bar was jarring to say the least. It was a scent that I had not smelled in many months due to the general lack of perspiring of the Japanese, around whom I’d spent all my time. Perhaps this was why the odor was so extremely shocking to me at the time. The smell wafted around us like low-lying, dense fog, the kind that early cartoon characters could cut through with a saw. The offensive odor made breathing through the nose a daunting task, but breathing through the mouth led to the feeling that you could actually taste the man’s bodily excretions.

During our time in proximity to the Body Odor Man, a Seinfeld episode chronicling a similar situation came to mind. In the episode, Jerry gets his car back from a restaurant valet only to realize that the valet’s body odor has completely taken over the car. Despite his best efforts to rid the vehicle of the horrendous smell, nothing works. To add insult to injury, anyone who sits inside of Jerry’s car exits the vehicle with the smell implanted in his or her hair. It’s a hilarious episode, I recommend it to any Seinfeld fan.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...