Friday, March 27, 2015

Detox Day One

Well, it's everybody's favorite time of the year again. The birds are singing, the weather is changing, and Marisa has embarked on her semi-annual juice cleanse. Yes, your excitement is palpable, as is mine. Okay fine- perhaps reading about my three-day juice drinking stints are not on the top of your list of things over which to obsess, but I feel the need to share my experience with you nonetheless.

I have tried juice cleanses from a number of different companies, from Jus by Julie to BluePrintCleanse. Both are companies I highly recommend. I recently came across a new brand called Juice in the Raw and decided to give it a whirl.

Day One:
8:20 AM- I held out as long as I could before giving in to the gnawing hunger that lead me to the fridge and my first juice titled "Detox Greens." This slightly sweet green juice contains apple, cucumber, celery, wheatgrass, dandelion, watercress, wild arugula, lemon and ginger.



11:30 AM- Well, perhaps I waited a little too long for this one- I was a bit of a growling hunger beast by the time I reached for "Detox Greens" number two.

1:30 PM- I was super excited for juice number three, the spicy lemonade! This juice is always my favorite part of a cleanse, I love the spicy element that cayenne adds to the lemony sour-sweetness of the lemonade. It is truly the perfect concoction of flavors.

3:25 PM- At this point in the day, I was experiencing some pretty intense headaches from the lack of caffeine. Honestly, the hardest part of doing a cleanse like this, for me anyways, is just giving up the coffee. I adore coffee, and drinking it is such a ritualistic thing for me, so it is a challenge. The third juice, "Sweet Greens," was similar to the "Detox Greens" but had kale, romaine and Swiss chard in place of the watercress, wheatgrass and arugula.

6:07 PM- I was swimming and actually got so caught up in it that I forgot my hunger, meaning it wasn't that strong. I sipped the fourth juice, "Sweet Greens," for a while.

8:35 PM- The last juice was a flavor sensation! Aptly named "Coconut Fusion," it was a scrumptious savory experience that reminded me of sticking a straw in a Thai coconut. Mmmm!

Reflection, Day 1: 

 

There were moments of struggle. Most notably, when I was surrounded by the intoxicating aroma of coffee and I had to resist the urge.  I also had a pretty throbbing headache at one point, but by the end of the day I felt mental clarity and relaxed, and not even one iota of hunger! Bring on tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...