Sunday, January 29, 2012

The radio really ruins songs for me...

Before I went to Europe, I had never once heard the Adele song "Someone Like You". The first time I heard it was a couple of days after I returned to the United States, and I immediately loved it and wanted to hear it again. Good thing for me, the next station on my preset list just happened to be playing it at the exact same time. This may have been good at that moment, but after about a week of 7 radio stations playing "Someone Like You" at the same time about 5 times a day, I got pretty sick of hearing about Adele's heartbreak. It's not her fault- the radio stations overplay her songs like there are absolutely no other songs to choose from in the universe.

After that first week of hearing her song over and over on the radio, I began to not only get sick of it, but completely resenting it. I wanted to boycott every station forever, but then the same thing happened with another song that I heard from the first time and wanted to hear again and again... what a viscious cycle! It must be stopped!

While we are talking about the radio, am I the only one who has noticed how many songs have really obnoxious lyrics these days? As embarassing as it is for me to admit, I am pretty into the song "Price Tag" by Jessie J (this post probably makes all of you think that I have a horrible music taste- I like other things too I promise, I always say I like a little bit of everything. I'm pretty sure most of you like T Swift and Katy Perry too but are just way too embarassed to say so). The tune is what I find catchy, it makes me want to go dance all night, but when I listen to the words I get a little crazy. It is much akin to that one song about wishing airplanes were shooting stars or whatever. In both songs the singers go on about how unimportant money is to them, which I find unbearably ironic, as they are making a good chunk of change singing about that.

The worst of those two is definitely the one about the airplanes being shooting stars, where whoever it is by raps about how he misses the days "back when ain't nobody listened to his mix tape". Bad grammar aside, this statement pisses me off becuase he clearly has every option to go back to the days where no one listened to his music. Pretty sure he likes things the way they are going now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...