Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Seriously this Time, it's the Apocalypse

Never in my life did I imagine a Seth Rogen movie would cause me to leave the theater desiring to lead a more Christian lifestyle. But when it was revealed to me that The Backstreet Boys and Segway rides await those entering Heaven, how could anyone not instantly opt to uphold the teachings of Christianity on the spot?

This is the End initially comes off as yet another of the countless apocalyptic plots involving zombies, vampires, or in this case, demons, that Hollywood has been cranking out at an exponential rate. And with identical plot lines coming at them from all directions like Cicadas emerging after 17 years underground, it's no surprise that moviegoers are increasingly skeptical to on-screen insights as to just what will finally take humanity out (my money is on the unstoppable spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria [there's an underdone cinematic plot for you]). Admittedly, I was one of those skeptics, yet as usual, Rotten Tomatoes certifying This is the End as "fresh" calmed my nerves like a good ol' Gin & Tonic after a 12-hour-shift.

I generally describe myself as the way-too-easily-annoyed audience member who unnecessarily glares at those laughing too loud during movies in a cynical attempt to bring them down to my level of not having such a good time. When did I turn green and try to steal Christmas from Who-ville? Anyways, during This is the End, it was my laugh attracting the begrudging stares. How's that for some good ol' fashioned irony? The plot is simple: a group of actors comprised of Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Jay Baruchel and Craig Robinson among others find themselves stuck together in a fight for survival during the apocalypse in which those of Good Will were beamed up to Heaven leaving them behind. There's brotherhood, angry British chicks accompanied by Harry Potter jokes, cannibalism, flying heads and demons appearing to have familial ties to Godzilla. What more could you want? Oh, right, a cameo by The Backstreet Boys. Yes, that's in there too.

Worth seeing in theaters? If you can get a student discount with an expired I.D. like me or if you can get to a matinee. Kid friendly? If you want to give them worse language than a heroin-dealing sailor and start asking what certain sexual terms mean, by all means.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...