Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Bonsai Bond

I have trouble taking care of things. I own fish and they die instantly. I have even had cactuses die while under my care. As Demetri Martin says, I am less nurturing than a dessert. How sad. So, when someone gave me a Bonsai tree, you can imagine my fear. This was not just a tree. It was something to care for, something for which I would be responsible.



Previously, my idea of plant care was putting the plant either somewhere in direct sunlight, in an area that gets some sun for 10 minutes a day, or in a dark corner, and giving it some water whenever you happen to remember. That is until one day when you forget completely and then glance over to see it dying and begging you for water making you feel beside yourself with guilt causing you to desperately try to save it to no avail.

However, I knew this time had to be different. Bonsai trees as gifts are important to say the least when it comes to Japanese culture. I made a commitment to myself to keep my photosynthetic friend alive for as long as I could.

The first thing I noticed while having another living thing in my apartment is that I will talk to just
about anything. I greet 植木 (Ueki which means potted plant in Japanese) every morning, an action possibly indicative of insanity that I am glad no one is around to witness. Ueki has taught me that plants are actually hard work. She is the neediest mini tree, she reminds me of Regina George from Mean Girls; so ridiculously high maintenance.


Ueki ALWAYS NEEDS SOMETHING! I feel like an annoyed mother throwing up her arms in defeat and shouting "I JUST gave you water!" Bonsai trees apparently drink faster than Bikram yoga practitioners in Death Valley. Not only do I have to give her water multiple times a day, but I have to put her in the sunlight, which sometimes is non-existent in my apartment. The art of Bonsai care gets more refined still. Bonsai trees actually turn towards the sunlight and grow only in that direction, meaning that you need to turn them often to keep their trunks growing straight. I found this out when Ueki began growing sideways when I left her in the same spot, to the point that the pot holding her almost tips over in the direction she is growing. 

She is a cool tree, though, and lovely, and I must admit it is nice to have to take care of something. Except when she gets too demanding, that is. 

植木

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...