Thursday, June 26, 2014

Crazy for Ed

My love for Ed Sheeran is evolving to the point it may be considered creepy. First, let me boast about how I liked him before everyone else. I am so pre-mainstream and trendy! No big deal...Gloating aside, I DID hear his modest little NPR interview many moons ago and his music instantly entranced me. It took a long while for the realization that my love for Ed's music was to be a long-term affair.

Sheeran and John Fullbright are the kind of rare musicians whose every song I adore. I never cared that Sheeran is somewhat of a pre-teen obsession like Justin Bieber once was, but unlike the screaming crowds of young girls, I actually appreciate his talent for what it is. I do concede, however, that he is absolutely freaking adorable. That bright red hair!? The thick English accent that gives me the chills whenever I hear it shine through in his music!? His modest nature!? Oh man. I don't blame his young female fans whatsoever, especially after seeing him live in concert. It is rare that artists are as good or better live than on their studio-edited albums. It was then that I discovered that he and I have the exact same guitar by complete coincidence- a travel Martin.

My guitar is now famous

Waiting for the release of Ed Sheeran's second album, x (pronounced multiply- aptly, as his first was +, and all my love did upon hearing x was, well, multiply), was pure agony. iTunes began advertising its release months before the scheduled date of June 23, yet all I could do was sit with bated breath on the edge of my seat to listen to the new music. To be honest, however, I was pleased as punch just to discover that he was releasing a second album so soon after his first.

I find few things worthy of my money- travel tops the list along with Indian food and the songs or albums of worthy musicians. I would go in debt to avoid pirating Ed's fantastic work. Sheeran easily falls under the "worthy musician category." Literally, I keep expecting to dislike or at least not passionately LOVE at least one of his songs, but it has yet to happen. His tune featured at the end of the second installment of The Hobbit? Perfection in every sense, as was the song written excessively for The Fault in Our Stars. Filmmakers should just always recruit Ed fort their songwriting needs.


So adorable
On his first album, Sheeran demonstrated with gusto his ability to write and passionately sing romantic ballads making him seem like he has experienced far more than his 23 years would suggest. His second album re-emphasizes this skill which he has clearly perfected, yet also revealed his previously lesser-known talents. He is the first decent pale, redhead rapper I have ever heard (actually, possibly the only redhead rapper), masterfully creates pop songs, and some soulful, almost R&B pieces as well. X is an audibly gorgeous crockpot combination of multiple genres that can appeal to every audience. With his most recent release, he is sure to not only multiply his fan base of somewhat stalker-esque girls, but other audiences as well.

I must admit, I hope all of the lyrics do not reflect reality. "Runaway" talks about running away from a deadbeat dad, "Don't" talks about being cheated on, a good number of songs touch on the subject of drinking too much... I hope for his sake he has not been through all of that, but if he has, at least he has a good outlet for expressing the associated emotions.

Listen to his album below, but also buy it! Support this charming, redheaded talent!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...