Saturday, June 21, 2014

Flying on Friday the 13th

My day last Friday did not go according to plan. However, it did not go as poorly as a Friday the 13th can go theoretically, at least for one who is superstitious. I am not sure if I consider it a victory or a disaster. I guess we will go with victory to seem optimistic even though I can sometimes be a "glass-half-empty" kind of gal. My plan initially was to fly out to Denver at 10:20 PM and land around 11:45 (love those time changes, except on the way back). However, someone advised me to check on the flight status because of the weather which was causing a number of delays and cancellations. So, as instructed, I called United, and asked the agent in a somewhat frantic voice if there were any earlier flights on which she could put me. She said my only option was the last remaining seat on a flight leaving in about an hour from an airport that takes about 45 minutes to get to. I told her to change my ticket. I had not packed, and had not intended to for at least another two hours, so I threw some random useless belongings into a bag and headed off, only to realize once I arrived at the Denver airport how many important things I forgot.

I got a ride from my cousin who got me there faster than a flying cheetah on meth, if they were to exist. I literally RAN in my wedge shoes because I did not realize how far away everything is in Dulles- security is like 40 minutes away form check-in, if you walked at a leisurely pace. So I ran as fast as humanly possible, attracting awkward look after awkward look. When I arrived at security, I was pleased to find a relatively short line, but was the opposite of pleased when the TSA agent stopped me for a random "hand screening." I pouted like a little kid, informing him that my flight boarded in 10 minutes. He felt guilty and let me go through the TSA Pre check line. Apparently, throwing a fit works sometimes. I wish I had known that as a kid.

So, here is a little side note: the TSA Pre check line is the most magical place after Disneyland, easily. You don't have to take off your shoes or coat, don't have to take out liquids or laptops- all you do is walk through and you're DONE. It makes plane travel almost pleasant again. Key word: almost. So, after my mad dash to the gate, I discovered that my flight was delayed another 30 minutes. Dandy. At least it gave me time to chow down a burrito.

So, now begins the bad luck. After boarding, the captain informed us that the plane was in a massive line of planes waiting to depart, and that we would be waiting at least 20 more minutes. As I groaned about this to my seat neighbor, he reminded me that I was not even supposed to be at the airport for another three hours. Well said, seat neighbor, well said. He ended up being a fantastic seat neighbor. We played this game where we went through every page of Sky Mall and picked which item we would buy. Fun fun fun....

So, I got through the day without a single black cat crossing my path, I didn't walk under a ladder, and the plane didn't crash. Victory, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Nice little story!
    I guess the box of actually-needed clothing was to follow...

    ReplyDelete

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...