Thursday, December 13, 2012

Another Christmas Carol Rant

You know, while I am stuck on the topic of Christmas music and merriment, I have some beef to bring up (who came up with that saying anyways? A butcher? I guess they always have beef, technically, unless there is some sort of unprecidented shortage of cow meat) with the three aforementioned Christmas music stations. I understand the logic of the majority of the songs played- White Christmas is obviously a classic. Who doesn't know the words to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by heart, aside from immigrants and those who experienced deprived childhoods? There are some modern Christmas carols like Last Christmas and All I Want for Christmas is You. Yet there clear addressing of the subject of Christmas and holiday cheer have vaulted them into immediate acceptance by the general public.

My issue is when these radio stations begin to stretch the definition of what is and what isn't Christmas music. At least the two songs mentioned in the above paragraph contain the word "Christmas" in the title. However, I have heard the song The Gift played as part of the Christmas song collection of these radio stations, and I just find that unacceptable. Just because it mentions the word "gift" does not automatically associate it with Christmas. No other part of the lyrics mention Christmas. Oh wait, I just read them and it does talk about snow and lights. Fine. But it could just as easily be a song referencing someone's birthday or house-warming party in winter. Those both would entail gifts and snow.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh and hypocritical. I am a sucker for the Joni Mitchell song The River which hints at Christmas about the same amount as The Gift. But I like that song better so there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...