Friday, September 13, 2013

Don Juans in the Nursing Home

Costa Rican nursing home men lie on one of two extremes on the spectum encompassing male attitudes towards women. Some are romantic charmers to the point of eclipsing Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge and then some are creepy, slimy, macho chauvinistic pigs who shout durogatory statements and lick my hand.

In the past week, I have become a swinger of sorts at the nursing home. On Monday, a particular Don Juan named Miguel (or Manuel? I already forget) saw me standing alone during the first of many dances this week to celebrate Independance Day like the loner girl at prom. He pointed at me from across the room, flashed me a smile and a wink and performed a "come hither" gesture with his left hand. Well, I wasn't doing anything better so I shrugged, pointed at myself to confirm he didn't have his sights set on the elderly lady beside me and upon recieving his nod, I headed over for a dance. He certainly had a spring in his step; I felt like I was on Dancing with the Stars, Nursing Home Edition. During our multiple dances, he asked me to be his wife for the day. I'd never been asked to be a temporary wife before, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

On Thursday, I took a break from cutting gauze strips to go check out the hip n' happenin' festivities in the cafeteria at lunch. Unfortunately, the entertainment turned out to be nothing more than a creepy Stephen King-esque clown making balloon animals and playing a colorful guitar. One of the male residents walked over to me and bent my ear for awhile asking me about myself and eventually he shared with me the same sentiments pertaining to clowns and we bonded to the point he asked me to be his wife. I agreed to be another 24-hour-wife. I sense a new TLC drama! Polygamy in the nursing home. 

Finally, on Friday I was sitting and watching the local school kids doing a typical dance and not giving off any particular "I'm looking for a man" vibes, but all of a sudden my seat neighbor, an elderly man named Miguel, asked me if I would be his wife. I'm sure Carlos wouldn't mind...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...