Monday, September 2, 2013

Sloths!

As I sit here amid the oh-so-charming sounds of San Jose (cars roaring past my window, children screaming, dogs barking, you name it), my mind has already begun to reminisce about the warm, serene waters of the beach in Puerto Viejo which, just this morning, caressed me like a giddy child. Prior to my trip to the Caribbean shores of Costa Rica, I assumed transparent blue waters with gentle waves only existed in tourism ads for Hawaii or pictures to swindle you into buying a time share in Florida. I can now attest to the validity of their existence.

Puerto Viejo is the image I held in my mind of Costa Rica before my arrival. Shockingly, I did not anticipate being stuck in a constant torrential downpour walking around a dirty city constantly fearing for my life and my belongings as is the case in San Jose. That reality melted away this past weekend- I spent two days among friends and colorful locals enjoying the sun under the exotic palm trees. I felt like I was in Blue Lagoon without all the teen drama or Cast Away without Wilson and an improbable plane crash. The pristine water sparkled like nature's Tiffany diamonds and moved gently towards the coast, unlike other beaches I've been to with violent waves ravaging ceaselessly and pulling swimmers asunder in rip tides. I felt like a baby being rocked by its mother as I floated in the Caribbean.

Prior to spending time on the beach, my body was jonesing like a heroin addict for some good ol' endorphins of which it has been seriously deprived lately. Therefore, when I awoke from a surprisingly sound sleep in a hostel bed, I decided to go for a run along the beach. Back home in the US, the wildlife I passed included squirrels, birds, domestic animals and the occasional deer and fox. Here, it is not uncommon to run past a sloth chilling in a low branch, hoards of insects that star in horror films, monkeys, and crabs. It truly is a wild kingdom down here. One of the most exciting moments for me during my weekend came unexpectedly and involved a sloth. Previously, the sloth was as elusive as Sasquach to me, and I therefore placed at the top of my bucket list "see a sloth in the wild." While in Manuel Antonio last weekend, I saw one but at a large distance. The sloth in Puerto Viejo trumped this experience by a landslide. While eating breakfast, someone from my volunteer program informed me that there was a sloth in a low branch right next to the hostel. Thankfully, sloths move slower than a handicapped snail through molasses, so I took my time finishing my eggs and fruit and headed over to the tree. Sure enough, there he was hanging from the bottom branch, a mere ten feet away. It was surreal to reach out and touch the little lazy guy, and my surreal giddiness was quickly shattered when someone told me they are super dirty and bite. Thanks for raining on my parade, Debbie Downer of a local...

If anyone reading this ever finds themselves in this robust little seaside town, make sure to stop at the Zion Cafe for a meal or a smoothie at the very least. Owned and managed by a Toronto native, this inconspicuous seaside eatery offers healthy vegetarian options alongside seafood specialties and some carnivorous entrees. My lactose intolerant-ometer went off like crazy when it say the words "soy milk" under the smoothie section on the menu, so I ordered a banana smoothie with soy milk to sip on while waiting for my coconut curry. Never have I been so ecstatic over brown rice before- here, they go ever-so-slightly simple carb heavy- white bread, white pasta and white rice. It is truly a mystery to me how Costa Ricans obtain a substantial amount of fiber in ther diets.


 
Well, a screeching car alarm just valuted me out of my daydream. Time to face facts, Puerto Viejo has gone to rest in my memory and I start my volunteering tomorrow... oh life...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...