Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ron Burgundy is Back!

Ron Burgundy and his news team back in action is a welcome premise- it's been so long since filmgoers last enjoyed their crazy, often politically-incorrect antics. Yes, Ron Burgandy is looking a bit aged in this second installment of the Anchorman films, but that may have been more prominent in my mind as I recently watched Elf, starring a much younger Will Farrell as its protagonist. Christina Applegate also looked a lot older albeit just as attractive as always.

I enjoyed the second part of Anchorman about as much as I expected to. When I read that its running time pans over a length of two hours, I felt that this was a bit excessive to say the least for that type of goofy, crass comedy. Turns out I was right- a good 20-30 minutes could have easily been shaved off with a 5-blade cinematic razor with no damage done to the plot. It could have easily gone without an entire, draggy and not-funny sub-plot about Ron, his wife and son raising a great white shark named Dobby (there is even a ridiculously unnecessary musical number pertaining to this storyline). 

Anyone who enjoyed the first film will, at least to some degree, enjoy the second. There is nothing particularly noteworthy or fantastic about this addition, but I did find myself laughing out loud at certain jokes and I appreciated the plot revolving around how news first became sensationalist and not really about the news. I thought it was creative to pinpoint the moment journalism stopped being about the news on the actions of Ron and his compadres. There are crude jokes, racist jokes, and some jokes that went right over my head. This movie provides that which it is expected to provide- a nice, lighthearted escape from the seriousness of our everyday lives. 

Some people really should not get perms...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...