Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sunrise Run

Yesterday at school I was discussing running with the vice principal because that is our common ground. It’s what we bond over. In particular, after having been mercilessly destroyed by track and field club, we now talk about our love of long, slow, relaxing runs. He said that he wakes up at 4:30 every morning so he can begin his run at 5:00 in order to watch the sunrise. I told him he was crazy.

Like this.

Coincidentally enough, I found myself awake around 4:30 the morning following our discussion. I decided it was meant to be and got my butt out of bed for a sunrise run so see what the fuss was all about. Although I don’t see myself making these runs a routine occurrence, I did appreciate the beauty of the sunrise blazing like wildfire across the sky. It truly was breathtaking, to the point that I paused my run to snap a photo.



On a somewhat different note, but still related to runs, I am always unsure whether or not to greet people whom I pass. Should I give a grin? If it’s a fellow runner, should I flash an “I know how you feel” expression? Should I ignore them completely? Should I give a nod of acknowledgement? Or, should I take it to the other end of the spectrum entirely and give them a disgruntled scowl? Okay, perhaps not the last option.

This morning, I was so chipper from the beauty of the sky on such a cool, crisp morning that I decided to be super cheerful with every fellow human I passed. The first target of my kindness was an elderly, slightly hunched over man with a frighteningly stern face. I didn't let this deter me, however; I went all out and gave him a big smile, a “good morning,” and a nod. A gigantic, toothy smile shattered his stony expression instantly, and he returned my greeting in kind.

I'm gonna make you smile, grumpy man!

The next person I came across was a woman appearing to be in her early 30’s (although this is Japan, so she may have been like 86) riding her bike. I gave her a little nod because that is all I had time for as she passed. Her stern expression did not waver. Whatever, that’s your problem, bike lady. Be angry. See if I care. I wouldn't let her get me down. The next couple was kind, but not over the top, when returning my gesture, but it was enough to keep my spirits afloat. The remaining recipients of my cheerful greetings responded with at least a mini-bow of acknowledgement. That’s good enough for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...