Friday, May 4, 2012

Pirates Worthy of the High Seas

Perhaps the most appealing aspect of the claymation film Pirates! Band of Misfits is its originality. Finally- a "kid's" movie which is not the sequel of a sequel (*ahem* Ice Age series...) or just a re-release of a Disney classic in 3D (because they need to make money somehow). All I can say is thank God for this film- the story is refreshingly clever and, just to sound like a broken record, original, and all I can say about it visually is that every frame is like dessert for your eyes. Claymation in itself is a practice to be admired and absolutely lovely to take in. Some of my favorite images were the portrayal of wine sloshing around in glasses, the scene where baking soda and vinegar combines on a massive scale (you will have to see it to understand that one) and the appearance of the ocean.

Although yes, Pirates! is technically a children's film, the visuals and the bountiful jokes clearly aimed at adults make it pleasurable for all audiences. I did not see the film in 3D and do not think it needs to be seen as anything other than the classic 2D. The visuals were so stunning on their own that they did not need any sort of embellishment from the addition of another dimmension.

Pirates! Band of Misfits has a story busting with humanity and humor and I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...