Friday, May 25, 2012

Seriously? You're Surrounded by Butterflies!

That is what I wanted to say to the kids I took to the butterfly pavillion today. That place is bursting at the seams with exotic instects and sea creatures, and even provides little ones the opportunity to hold Rosie the tarantula. Though, as I have noted, it more often than not ends up being the not-so-little ones who end up holding her to persuade the children that she won't kill you. And in my case, the kids were so bored and overwhelmed by the bustling atmosphere in the insect room that they did not even give me a chance to hold the giant spider. Sad, right? My dreams were crushed.

I have never ceased to be baffled by the things that amuse children, and equally baffled by that which does not. Giant, South American cockroach which would make me crap myself if seen in person? No reaction. A petting pool filled with horseshoe crabs? Yawn-inducing. A variety of butterflies boasting colors which would make Monet weep with joy? Booorrrinnggg. A piece of wood with three colored holes into which you can throw beanbags? BEST THING EVER!!

I am not exaggerating. We spent about 15 minutes with the butterflies (which as "butterfly pavillion" suggests, should be the main attraction), 5 minutes in the insect room, and 5 with the sea critters. Yet the beanbag-wood game captivated these children for almost a full hour. I was confused.

I, on the other hand, accumulated some new knowledge about honey bees. First of all, did you know that only the females can sting? The reason for this being that the stinger is a modified reproductive part of the female. Also, males are called drones and only are produced when their reproductive role needs a-fillin'. What gender craziness! It is almost as crazy as how alligator eggs start off being gender neutral, and the ratio of male to female alligator babies poppin' out is based on the temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...