Monday, May 28, 2012

I go for runs most days, but the mileage at which I typically max out is about 2 or 3. For some reason unbenknownst to me, I thought that meant that I would be totally fine running a 10k (about 6.2 miles) race without amping up my workouts beforehand.
Well, as I have previously stated in a Facebook post, my mentality during a run is a roller coaster of emotions. My mentality during the Bolder Boulder 10k was like one of those insane roller coasters that most rational people are afraid of. During a typical run, my mindset is as follows chronologically (sorry to my Facebook readers who have already read this as my status):
1) I really do not want to go running
2) Wow, this sucks. Why am I doing this again?
3) Ah right, this feeling is why!
4) WOO! I could run forever!
5) *pant* ok, I can't run forever.

Now a list of my thoughts chronologically and their context during the Bolder Boulder:

1) Arriving at the starting area, about 20 minutes prior to the commencement of the run: I was thrilled to see the free coffee- caffeine really amps up my mind pre-workout, but a bit torn because I didn't know if I wanted to have to pee midway through the race. The love for coffee won.
2) First five seconds of running: I was already thinking "crap, I'm tired. I will NEVER be able to make it"
3) After running past the first few bands and groups of people cheering us on: I started feeling a bit more optimistic: "all right... I CAN do this! You're right, random people!"
4) Upon viewing the 1 kilometer banner stretched far overhead: "wow, that was far. 9 more of those? Seriously??"
5) After running past some more bands and people singing the macarena: feeling a bit re-energized. Because who doesn't after hearing the Macarena?
6) Reaching the halfway mark: "ok, I'm still alive. Feet a bit numb, but breathing is still regular"
7) After my dad dumped a glass of water on my head to "cool me off": "What the hell, Dad!!" quickly followed by "ok, that felt kind of good..."
8) Viewing the 7 km banner: "wow, I might die before I reach the 8"
9) Viewing what I thought was the 8 banner, only to realize it was actually a 7.5 km banner: "the people who decided to do half km markers are cruel. I have never felt so misled"
10) Running past the people cheering us on around the 9 km mark: "oh my gosh, go away all of you!!"
11) The end of the race- about .2 miles to go: (I was not thinking at this point- I was in too severe of pain and gasping for breath).

The end. Well, I made it jogging the whole time in 72 minutes and got to bond with my dad, so I would say it was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...