Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Don't Report Me to PETA

So worth it

In two days, I committed a slew of actions deemable by PETA as unforgiveable. On Friday, I scarfed down a deep-fried ice cream at the Mexican restaurant Casa Gauadalajara in San Diego. My grandmother and I spent Saturday among the company of exotic animals at the San Diego Zoo.

Saying I disagree with the extremist animal rights group when it comes to zoos is putting it mildly. Their webpage dictating their opinions on "pseudo-sanctuaries" (to put it in their terms) made me want to find whoever wrote it and slug them in the jaw. Particularly this passage condemning zoos' breeding practices: 

Zoos breed animals because the presence of babies draws zoo visitors and boosts revenue. But the animals' fate is often bleak once they outgrow their "cuteness."  And some zoos still import animals from the wild.
I propose a re-write:

Zoos breed animals to better understand the species in an attempt to combat declines in their populations. And zoos save animals that would otherwise be mauled by their natural predators or poachers to a place of refuce.

Ah, now I can detect logic!

The San Diego Zoo has more to brag about than the parents of a student on Harvard's dean's list. The park ought to be prouder than those dog lovers with bumper stickers reading "my (insert breed of dog here) is smarter than your honor roll student" plastered on their sedans (becuase since they do not have kids, they do not need vans). More than 3,700 animals from 650 species call the non-profit zoo home. Founded in 1916, it is more of a mansion than a simple home for many of the animals. Not one of the animals seemed to be complaining- they are enjoying protection and longer life spans thanks to the zoo!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...