Monday, April 7, 2014

An Afternoon in Japan

will no longer blame any acquired food poisoning on my Delhi fast food outing, but rather on the mystery sushi I just shoveled down here in Japan. I figured hey, when is the next time I will be in Japan and able to sample their famous sushi? Since I cannot give a definite answer to that question, I decided to seize the opportunity. I wanted to go with the salmon roll after perusing the menu, since it seemed like one of the safer choices, but they were out of that one so I selected the "mix roll," which is probably the least safe option. i could not tell if the main component of the roll was tofu, a block of artificially colored cheese, or some sort of fish I could not identify. The other three parts making up the mixture in the middle looked like cucumber, caramelized onion (but potentially another sort of mystery fish), and either legitimate or imitation crab. Heck, for all I know I could have just downed some sort of endangered bottom-feeder. I hope not, because I don't need or want PETA hassling me. 

I did not think you could fall in love with a country just based on its toilets. Boy, was I wrong. Just one time plopping my bare bum onto those luxurious, heated seats with a built in bidet, deodorizer, flushing music made me never want to use another toilet again. It was especially fantastic after experiencing toilets in India, where I was thrilled if it wasn't a squatter.
Also, the Japanese airport has Hello Kitty planes and an oragami museum. Need I say more to intrigue my readers? I mean, the Hello Kitty plane alone is enough to demonstrate the magic of Japan. I guess I didn't expect any less from the land that created the Zelda video games and the Miyazaki films.




1 comment:

  1. Haha that's Japan Marisa and oh people tend to be too polite as well

    ReplyDelete

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...