Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Want an Egg

Let me just start expressing my determination at finishing my 30 vegan days. It WILL happen, I mean heck, I have already made it 3 and a half days, how much harder can 26.5 be?

Yesterday I felt great in the morning, but that great feeling slowly morphed into a really strange weak feeling which I do not think I had experienced before. I blame the fact that instead of slowly weaning myself into this lifestyle, I decided to jump right in with both feet. That's the best way to adjust to pool temperature, and I wrongly assumed that the "dive right in" rule could be applied to all aspects of life.

In retrospect, it may arguably have been a better idea to stick my pinky toe into the pool and eliminate all meat for the first few days, then cheese, then eggs, and then the insanely specific things that vegans do not eat like milk fats and gelatin. Yes, that does mean no chocolate and no gelatin covered multivitamins. I have been reading labels like a fiend (not really sure how fiend-sytle label reading differs from that of regular label reading, but you get my point). I have also had to switch to a new supplement which provides nutritional support for vegetarians and vegans, because they tend to have a severe defficiency of vitamin B12. This happens because B12 is not found in any plant-based foods, which more than hints at the fact that humans are meant to eat some sort of animal product. I am just failing to see why it is a bad idea to eat eggs. The other aspects of veganism make more sense to me, and thus, after this 30 day experiment, I may only add eggs back into my diet. That is the only thing I am pining for anyways.

Okay, maybe not these eggs, they have creepy faces.

Yesterday for breakfast, I had a soy yogurt with mixed nuts, for lunch I had one of my vegan smoothies with a banana, spinach and blueberries, for a snack I had a banana, and for dinner I had some leftover of the pasta I made on Tuesday. Today, I decided to cook again, and I was impressed at the ability of bananas to immitate the properties of eggs in cooking. I thought that pancakes would have to be eliminated from my diet, yet replacing them with bananas worked perfectly and added a nice sweetness. That is as far as I have gotten today.

One thing that I can rave about like a lunatic in an asylum is coconut ice cream. This stuff is completely vegan and tastes just as good, if not better than the milk-based counterpart.

This stuff= YUM!


Veganism is not my whole life now despite what my blog may suggest. I do not just sit around brooding and thinking about the days when I ate chicken and cheese. I still do fun things like go to Celestial Seasonings with my mother for a free tour and tasting. I learned that decaf tea is not really tea, because it does not contain any part of the tea plant, but when the company attempted to market them as "herbal infusions", nobody really wanted to buy them. I hope I am allowed to be sharing this information and that it was not told to me under the Willy Wonka-esque assumption that we were sworn to secrecy in order to prevent spies from stealing their secrets. I suppose that is not a grand secret anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...