Sunday, August 19, 2012

Primary

Curse you Hammer Museum and your sudden desire to be punctual! Literally the one day that I did not arrive 15 minutes preceding the event (blame the LA bus system which is notorious for its inability to adhere to a schedule), happened to be the one day when it began on time. In honor of the presidential election which, in case you weren't aware, is rapidly approaching, the Hammer is showing four election-themed films. Naturally, the majority of them are showing during my class (my one major weekly time constraint), but I plan on attending the others.

The first film of the series documented the primary where John F. Kennedy was campaining against Hubert Humphrey (appropriately, the film was titled Primary). Maybe this is a reflection on how well I paid attention in U.S. history during high school, but I had no idea who Hubert Humphrey was. The film, comprised of grainy black and white footage provided a behind-the-scenes look at the earlier days of campaigning. I enjoyed the lesson in history immensely, especially the campaign theme songs that sounded like 50s advertisements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Lawn Chair

Apparently, I care about lawn chairs. I’ve always known that I typically give inanimate objects personalities and feelings. The “As-is” sect...